Medicaid for veteran, A&A for spouse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krissy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. krissy

krissy Newbie

First of all, I want to thank you for this valuable tool! It has been so helpful this past year as I am helping all 4 of my grandparents get these benefits.

My 90 y/o grandparents moved into assisted living in October last year. We applied for A&A, received a request for further information which we sent in mid-December, and are still awaiting a decision. In the meantime, my grandfather (veteran) has had some health complications and we were told yesterday that they needed to move him to a nursing home. We are looking to apply for Medicaid for him, as their assets only amount to $30,000 and they will spend through that quickly paying for a nursing home.

My grandmother will likely stay in assisted living since she's still in reasonably good health.

Am I correct in believing that my grandfather will no longer be entitled to A&A if he is awarded Medicaid (other than $90/month)? What I am not sure about is whether my grandmother will still be entitled to A&A since she will not be receiving Medicaid?

Also, what's the process for notifying the VA of this change in his expenses, and ultimately if he gets awarded Medicaid?

Thank you!

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Hello there! Thank you for the kinds words.

Yes, you are correct. The maximum amount an applicant can be awarded from A&A if they are on Medicaid is $90/month. It would be your grandfather that would no longer be eligible for the full A&A amount and then your grandmother would be eligible for the maximum amount of $1438/month because she would be considered a "sick spouse of a veteran" to the VA.

The best thing to do is send the VA a Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 to update them on this change once your grandfather gets awarded Medicaid. I would not recommend updating the VA until he actually gets Medicaid. They may ask you for to submit an updated application - I am not sure if you would need to do that or not based on when you hear back from them on the award of A&A since you're still waiting on that decision currently.