Marital Information on 21-527EZ

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by deanyj, Feb 9, 2016.

1. deanyj

deanyj Newbie

My 93-yr-old uncle is widowed/divorced not seeking spousal benefits or contributing to spousal support. He is presently in ALF. He is applying for Aid and Attendance. Do I have to complete the info for spousal information such as dates of marriage, death, divorce, how many times married, etc. on the 21-527EZ application. I also read somewhere that if he is legally blind, he gets automatic approval. Is this true? I cannot relocate the website where I read this.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

deanyj,

Correct, your uncle would not need to supply marital information for his application if he is only applying for himself since he is widowed/divorced. Being legally blind does make him qualified for the Aid and Attendance benefit according to the medical qualifications. But he would also need to show financial need. What he is paying for care vs. what his current income and assets are. I hope that helps!

3. deanyj

deanyj Newbie

Yes, your information is very helpful.

His income is $1850/mo expenses $3500. Has $8K in the bank.

This site is sooooo beneficial.

4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

deanyj,

You're welcome! Glad I could help. It does sound to me like your uncle would qualify for the Aid and Attendance benefit.

Make sure to read on this page I linked below the specific qualifications for eligibility and the complete instructions for how to apply for the benefit (every document that is needed; excluding any marital information for your uncle) are also on this page. Mail the completed application return receipt and keep a copy of everything for your uncle for documentation.

http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php