Many questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by babs, Feb 21, 2008.

1. babs

babs Newbie

I have many questions and I think this may be the place to ask them. My father was in WWII and is now bed-ridden with alheimers (sp)and in a nursing home. In the past my mother tried to get disabilty compensation for him from accidents that he had while he was in the army, but because there was no documentation she couldn't get anything. He did have a purple heart for something, but his army records were destroyed by fire so we don't know what it was for.
    My mother's only income is his social security and she has very little in assets. From what I am reading he either qualifies for the aid and attendance or pension, but I don't know the difference between them. My mother is concerned that if she files for it, a.she would lose his social security, b.Medicare wouldn't pay for his meds and the nursing home, and c. she would be tighter for cash than she is now. If they gave him the aid and attendance or the pension, how would that work for my mom's situation? Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

2. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

I have many questions and I think this may be the place to ask them. My father was in WWII and is now bed-ridden with alheimers (sp)and in a nursing home. In the past my mother tried to get disabilty compensation for him from accidents that he had while he was in the army, but because there was no documentation she couldn't get anything. He did have a purple heart for something, but his army records were destroyed by fire so we don't know what it was for.

There are many other ways to confirm injuries from service. The letter that veterans receive about the fire at the National Personnel Records Center is very misleading. First, it is a form letter and not directly addressing your Father’s records. The letter also states, “If your records were here …” “they could have been destroyed.” I have seen many veterans contact their congressional representative and ask for confirmation as to if the records were there and if they were indeed destroyed. More often then not the records are found or reconstructed from alternative sources. Give it a try.

My mother's only income is his social security and she has very little in assets. From what I am reading he either qualifies for the aid and attendance or pension, but I don't know the difference between them. My mother is concerned that if she files for it,

Aid and Attendance is the highest of three levels of non-service connected pension. Your Father could be entitle to service-connected compensation. This benefit is not based on income but the severity of the service-connected disability. If your Father requires nursing home or assisted living care due to his service connected disabilities or if he receives a service-connected rating of 70% or greater, the VA will pay the nursing home/assisted care cost in addition to his monthly service-connected disability.

Even if his service-connected condition aggravated the Alzheimer condition, then he could be rated as service-connected for the Alzheimer condition. I think it would be beneficial for you to follow-up on this.

This could also lead to more money and benefits for your Mother when your Father passes away.

a.she would lose his social security,

You may want to check with Social Security Administration on this issue.

b.Medicare wouldn't pay for his meds and the nursing home, and

If your Father is approved for Aid and Attendance the VA will provide all of his prescriptions at no charge. If he is approved for a condition that is service connected and requires the nursing home/assisted care the VA will also provide the prescriptions and equipment needed to take care of him.

c. she would be tighter for cash than she is now. If they gave him the aid and attendance or the pension, how would that work for my mom's situation? Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

You can actually file for both benefits at the same time and the VA will pay whichever is greater benefit for your Father. I know this is a lot of information and you may want to try and locate a County Veterans’ Service Officer that can help you through the process.

The Veteran Advocate