Making progress...hopefully

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vetwife, May 30, 2012.

1. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Fax it to the Milwaukee office as well. If you can get confirmation of being received, get that.

2. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Thank you very much. I will fax it today. :)
    Because of your good suggestions, I have made sure to get confirmation of all faxed and mailed items.

3. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Spoke with rep today and the info that we faxed to Milwaukee Pension Center showed up!
    It never registered as received in Kentucky, when we sent and faxed it.
    Hope this is one more step in the right direction. We are in month five now.
    Thanks so much Debbie! :)

4. vetadmin

Well at least that is forward motion.

Fingers crossed!

5. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Five months under our belt waiting for my husbands claim now...sigh :(
    We had a call from the Kentucky processing center, the rep said everything "looked good" from their end.
    She said they only help with processing and forward the claim back to Milwaukee from there.
    It sounds like we have moved on to another phase. Hope it will bring good news soon.
    We need it soooo much. Now I really understand why Debbie said patience is needed to make it thru.

Without Debbie and this website I don't know how I would have made it.
    Lots and lots of gratitude... :)

6. ppomer

ppomer Newbie

I submitted the application for A & A pension on August 27,2012 with the return receipt requested with the USPS. My question is, how long should I wait to contact the VA, and who do I contact ?

I sent my application to St. Paul Minnesota and I live in California. Also I am making Cobra payments for vision for both of us and I forgot to include that in the medical expense. I am also making payments on a dental bill for myself, should I include that? I wasnt real sure as to what to include for expenses.

Thank you for this website, it has been so informative. I basically did this on my own. Thank you for your time & assistance with this matter.
    Pat

7. vetadmin

Pat,

At a minimum, 90 days. As long as you have confirmation that it was received.

Good luck with it all!

8. Deni416

Deni416 Newbie

Similar to Vetwife, the claim I filed for my father for A & A was dated over six months ago, on 3/12/12. It went from St Paul to the Kentucky VDMAP processing center. Further paperwork that they requested, and 3rd party authorization and hardship requests, was received by them June 11. The 3rd party and hardship forms were also faxed to both St Paul and Kentucky. Numerous follow up calls showed both forms to be "seen" by the reps, but not input into the system. After more followups, inquiries were placed several times on each one. And more fax copies submitted, at their request. The third party auth form was finally ok'd on August 1. Inquiries for hardship are STILL pending as of Sept 28 (inquiries placed by the reps on June 11, Aug 1, and Aug 20, and a manager notified on 9/21). Each time I am told they have 48 hrs to input forms or so many business days to respond to me. I've yet to receive any call back. And now I can't get through to either the St Paul or Kentucky numbers no matter the time of day I try ("try back later"). Of course, the ebenefits website is not able to show anything about claim status either. Last week I was told my dad was still in the (first) developmental phase. Supposedly everything is in order. I've now contacted his senator to get help.

I have worked for the VA for over 30 years, but this really takes the cake! My 91+ year old dad is trying to make it on his own with minimal caregiver hours, not trusting that the VA will come through for him. His congestive heart failure, history of falls in his home, and inability to care for himself are a real concern. Over 6 months wait WITH a hardship claim!

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

9. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Thanks for posting Deni416. I am sorry for your dad to be going thru this, as well as my husband and I.
    Your story and timing are so closely related to ours. My husband is also quite ill with stroke, dementia, heart and more. He needs constant care. I had to quit my job to care for him so our finances have become extremely strained. He is 85 and a Korean War vet.

It seems like from posts here that six months is not so unusual. It is a pretty sad system to be stuck waiting in.
    I know it is wishful thinking, but I pray that someday they will improve this process so that sick vets can receive their benefits before they have gone to the great beyond.

We certainly are not alone. Please post updates, as will I.

10. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Deni, have you tried the 1-877-294-6380 VA Pension Hotline?
    If there is al long wait, the automated system will offer to schedule a callback appointment for you. A VA rep will call you back. You can schedule the day and time of day. Normally, they are able to call in 2 days.
    Good luck

11. Fillise

Fillise Newbie

It took 13 months to get my 85 year-old father approved. At six months I would think it is ok to ask your Senator to intervene. It was what finally got action on my father's claim.

12. Deni416

Deni416 Newbie

Yes, I have been using that number all along and until recently have been able to either get a representative on the line or (more often) get a call back. I can no longer get a call back from either 877-294-6380 or St Paul 800 827-1000. They both say "unfortunately we cannot take your call at this time. Please call back later." Does anyone have another number for St Paul or the Kentucky VDMAP people? 877-591-9506 no longer is a working number either.

13. vetadmin

For the past 12 days, it has been impossible to reach anyone at any of the numbers. Not sure what is going on. If anyone has any other numbers that have worked, please share.

14. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

I tried the pension hotline number today. Same long message, but at the end was something referencing that they are upgrading their systems and the virtual hold system is not working "today". At least after that was the usual "your wait could be longer than 20 minutes", and the beloved music. ::) Maybe it will return to normal soon. :)