Making progress...hopefully

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vetwife, May 30, 2012.

1. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

I got thru to the va the other day. They have just started to process my husband's claim after 2 months.
    No wonder I just received the standard "we have many claims" letter. The rep said they just have one more form for me(him) to fill out and the other thing was they would verify service records internally thru the gov.
    Of course his discharge papers were include in application. I think we are making progress. I will make a donation as soon as we get on our feet. Thank you, Debbie for all the info and moral support here. Just think of all the lives you have touched. A real example of one person making a difference in this world! :) :)

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for your kind words, and it is an humbling honor to know that just by sharing information, you have the power to change things for others.

I hate that they said they need to confirm his service when they have that verification right in front of them, and it should not be two months before the application was processed, but let's try to remain hopeful here that things are moving forward.

I will be going to Washington, DC next week for some hearings, and hope I get to put some of my 2-cents into the mix.

3. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Good luck in Washington!
    I know that given the opportunity you wll always stand up for vets! ;D

4. vetadmin

Thanks! I sure am going to try!!

5. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Well today we received a 24 page letter. It lists what they still need for my husbands claim.
    At first glance it looked like they needed EVERYTHING that we already sent! :eek:
    Scared me to death, till I got to the part where it says all that they have already received, whew, thank god.
    It seems most of it they have. They did want the form where you fill out any previous marriages. My husband was married once before when he was very young. Luckily I found his divorce papers and filled in the dates.
    They also asked for more info regarding him being in a nursing home and expenses involved. He is not in a nursing home, he resides at home. Not sure how they got that impression. I have 2 questions.

1. Do you think I should include copies of his divorce papers?
    2. They sent an extra statement in support of claim, Do you think I should I make a statement regarding the fact that he resides at home, not in a nursing home?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

6. vetadmin

Yes on both!

Let's hope this is the last hurdle you have to jump through.

7. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Thank you sooo much, Debbie !

8. newpenny

newpenny Jr. Member

Good luck in Washington Debbie. I will be thinking of you!!!!

9. vetadmin

Thank you!

10. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Well...here is our latest update. Sent more requested info that was received two weeks ago.
    Proof of delivery confirmed.
    Talked to a rep today. The don't show it as received yet. How frustrating... ::)
    The last time this happened I ending up faxing the third party form and then they had it.
    One rep said go ahead and fax too..another rep said if they receive duplicates it will slow things down.
    Rep said it probably is there just not entered into the system yet.
    I don't know if I should fax it or not??? sigh...

11. vetadmin

Hold off a week and check back. If they say they still don't have it, fax it then.

12. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Thanks so much for your guidance Debbie.
    You are like a lifeline in the middle of the ocean. :)

13. vetadmin

Glad to be here for you :)

14. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

I waited a week and called back at the end of last week.
    They still do not show the documents in the system.
    It sure does take a long time to get info from the mailroom to the computer.
    Almost a month. I will fax them tomorrow.

15. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Or not... ::)
    We are at just about four months now. Claim was received in Milwaukee on March 30th. Submitted the further info requested, received in Kentucky at the processing center June 6. Then I faxed it July 2. Spoke with a rep last week and he said it still doesn't show in the system, but that they may be working on it, just did not scan yet.

He sent an inquiry checking on why the info has not been recorded yet. He said we should get a reply by mail. We are falling further and further behind. We have no savings and can barely meet our bills. I wonder if the hardship statement would help at all.

It is great that there is a benefit like this for needy veterans like my husband but really sad that we have to wait so long to receive it that we are financially crushed. :(

16. vetadmin

I know it is hard on the front end, but the good news, if you get approved, you will get the previous months that accrue while you are waiting. Try to keep the "Faith".

Yes, you can claim the financial hardsip and let them know you simply cannot pay your bills, but make sure they are for his care.

17. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Thank you so much for the reply, Debbie. You are right, I need to keep the faith. I really do think he will be approved since he meets all the criteria medically and financially. I hate to submit anything else at this point that we don't absolutely have to. Maybe it will just delay more. I know many others have waited much longer.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement! :)

18. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

The good thing about this pension, though, is that, if approved, it's retroactive to the date the VA received the application. It's just the juggling things until the decision is made that's hard.

19. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Thanks Marp! :)

20. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Latest update...We received a letter from Milwaukee Pension Center in reply to the inquiry the rep sent. It says they still have not received the requested further info, even though they received it on June 6 and it was faxed on July 2. It says if you have this info please fax it to-and goes on to give the fax number for Milwaukee office.

It is very confusing because the letter from Kentucky specifically said to send it back to them, which is what we did of course. And also faxed copies there too. I guess I should go ahead and fax copies to Milwaukee too. I am worried that they may deny the claim if they don't show that info as received.