Low Income Pension

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by Maven, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

My MIL is receiving $930 in SS and $1,153 AA. She has no assets or savings. She is in a skilled nursing facility and doesn't receive enough each month to cover her care. I just heard there is a Low Income Pension that she may be eligible for.Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks

2. Matt375

Matt375 Jr. Member

Sorry Maven not sure what you are talking about. She is maxed out on A&A and other than Medicaid taking over her medical care, I do not know of any other pensions available.

Kaylin likes this.
  3. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

I read that there is a Basic Pension or Low Income Pension available from VA if the applicant has limited income and assets. This was referred to as the First Tier of the Improved Pension with Housebound being the second tier and Aid and Attendance the Third tier. My MIL already gets the A&A can she also apply for the Basic or Low Income Pension?

4. Matt375

Matt375 Jr. Member

No, A&A is the highest amount of the pension program. You are correct in saying that it is a 3-tiered system and since she is in the highest tier there will be nothing else from the VA. The tiers are based on the level of care that a veteran or surviving spouse needs.

5. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

I appreciate the answer.I am confused though by posts of others on this forum who are applying for both the basic pension and A&A.

6. Matt375

Matt375 Jr. Member

Everyone on the forum is applying for the Non-Service Connected Pension/Survivor's (Widow) Pension. You were correct in stating that there is essentially 3 tiers, Basic, Homebound (able to live at home and needs some assistance) & Aid & Attendance (Needs full time 24/7 care, can be in a facility or in the home). So basically everyone applies for the Basic Pension but based on the level of care needed you are able to ask for a higher level, Homebound or A&A, they are just paid at a higher rate due to needing the extra care.

I hope that cleared some things up for you and if you have additional questions please let me know.

Kaylin likes this.