just starting process -- need help

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by sschramm, Sep 18, 2015.

1. sschramm

sschramm Newbie

My sister and I are filling out the papers for Aid & Attendance for my mother. My father was a WWII vet and passed almost 11 years ago. Mother is blind and has many other serious health issues. She has around the clock care in her home. A rehab facility told us about Aid & Attendance.

Question 1: Do we need to file an Intent to File a Claim first? If so, I'm confused about what box to check. I'm assuming survivors pension and/or dependency and indemnity compensation. Do we need to check either compensation or pension as well?

Question 2: In reading the Evidence Tables for "Increased Survivor Benefits Based on Need for Aid and Attendance or Being Housebound", it looks like we only have to have supporting documentation of her blindness and requiring the aid of another person to help her in the home (feeding, bathing, toileting, etc.). Do we still need to include all of financial information in Section VII, VIII and IX? And, medical bills not covered by insurance or Medicare? We have all of this information together, but are unsure if we need it for A&A.

Any help in this process would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You are filing for "Death Pension".

Have her Primary Care Dr complete the 21-2680 Phys' Evaluation stating that she now requires 24 care, and unable to live on her own.

Yes, you have to complete the financial sections as this is a "needs-based" benefit, and the applicant has to show a financial need for the pension in order to pay for their care.

If you have pretty much everything together, just mail a complete application packet. Make sure to mail Return Receipt, keep a complete copy for your records. Do not send original Discharge Papers. Send a "certified" copy of them. Same with the Marriage License.

Good Luck with the process.

3. sschramm

sschramm Newbie

Thank you! Little by little we are gathering information.

Wondering about Section X -- we pay a caregiver every week by check. Should those expenses be listed in this section?

4. vetadmin

It would be easier if you just show a monthly expense for the caregiving.

5. drdrizzy13

drdrizzy13 Newbie

How can my grandma show a monthly expense? she pays me in cash but she does have a receipt book that she keeps and that tells what she pays me.

6. vetadmin

She needs to pay you by check or money order, but there has to be more of an accounting for her expenses for care. The receipt book isn't going to work.

She has to provide a current bank statement, and the VA is looking to see that monthly re-occurring expense.

7. nanmckee

nanmckee Newbie

I am my mother's primary caretaker. I live in the house with her and take care of everything including her bills and other financial matters. She already receives a pension from the VA. I heard about the Aid and Attendance benefit, applied for it, and it was approved. The paperwork that was sent with the approval letter confused and concerned me. My understanding is that now, since the VA has taken her doctor's word for it that she is not capable of handling her financial affairs, she must have a fiduciary appointed to do it for her. The paperwork is very confusing, so I tried calling the VA at the number given on the papers. I wanted to know if I could be appointed as the fiduciary and how long it would take. I wanted to know if any of this would require Mom and me to travel to meetings with the VA. I wanted to know if her existing benefits would be suspended while the fiduciary was being appointed and for how long. I wanted to know how the VA verifies how the AA benefit is being spent. The woman told me to just fill out the paperwork and send it in and that all these questions would be answered as the process progressed. My problem is this: I am afraid that Mom's existing pension will somehow be suspended or muddled up in some way because I have set this in motion. When I first told Mom about applying for the AA benefit, she said, "You better not start something that's going to mess up my pension." I am afraid I might have done that and now I don't know how to make it stop! Can I just send the papers back with a note saying "never mind"? As much as Mom needs the money, I don't believe $300 a month is worth all this hassle. Please advise! Thanks

8. vetadmin

nanmckee,

The VA will always default if any mention of diminished mental capacities is noted on the Phys's Evaluation for a Fiduciary.

You can apply to be appointed as such, and it is not a complicated process as far as her asking you to be appointed.

You can print the VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim off from our website, and use the following text:

Once you receive notification from the VA that they find it necessary for a fiduciary to be appointed you should submit Form 21-4138 and include the following statement:

Please be advised that (parent's name) and I have no issue with the VA finding of incompetence and wish to proceed with the appointment of a fiduciary. We wish to appoint myself (her/his insert your relationship to the veteran) as fiduciary. I understand that I must be interviewed prior to that appointment and would appreciate such an interview be scheduled as soon as possible.
    At this point both (whoever is asking to be appointed) and the applicant will have to be interviewed by a VA Field Agent who will determine if you are an appropriate person to assign fiduciary to.

You don't have to travel for the interview. The Field Agent will come to where your Mom is for the interview

Her monthly pension will be just fine. It is any accrued monies owed her that will not be released until the interview takes place and the VA approves you as her Fiduciary.

9. nanmckee

nanmckee Newbie

Oh my goodness! Thank you thank you thank you! You can look at my original post and see that it was at 1:00 in the morning. That's how worried I've been about this. God bless you!

10. vetadmin

nanmckee,

You're welcome. Hopefully you can get some sleep now.