Just getting started...

Discussion in 'Tips and Resources' started by JJK, Jan 26, 2013.

  1. JJK

    JJK Newbie

    Hello everyone. I want to apply for the A&A benefit for my 88yr old dad who is in a nursing home and physically unable to complete the application himself. He is still mentally sharp but there's no way he would be able to do this. So, I have a few questions...
    1) Medical Evidence: I had the nursing home complete Form 21-0779 which states he's in a nursing home for skilled care and how much he pays. Do I need any other medical evidence for his application?
    2) Which forms do I need him to sign that would allow me to handle the application process with the VA for him? Is it 21-0845 (3rd party disclosure), 21-22A (appt of individual as claimant's rep) or both or some others?
    3) My dad lives in NJ... will the application be sent to the Newark VA office?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    You still need the 21-2680 Phy's Evaluation.

    Use only the 21-0845 listing yourself as the approved 3rd Party, but you do the application just as though your Dad were doing it. He is the applicant, so he signs everywhere it is required.

    No, the application will not be sent to the Newark VA office. You need to mail it to:

    Philadelphia Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    5000 Wissahickon Avenue
    Philadelphia, PA 19101
    Processes claims for the following states:
    CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, MA, MD, ME, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, PR, RI, SC, VA, VT, WV.

    AND you need to mail it Return Receipt for proof of delivery. You need to keep a complete copy of the application for your records,

    Good luck with the process!
  3. JJK

    JJK Newbie

    very helpful...thanks very much
  4. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    BTW - Do not do the 21-22.
  5. JJK

    JJK Newbie

    Hi again. In terms of the VA forms that I need in order to apply for my dad and be able to communicate to the VA on his behalf, is this list complete?

    Application: 21-526
    Consent to release info: 21-4142
    3rd Party authorization: 21-0845
    Nursing Home Statement: 21-0779
    Physician Statement: 21-2680

    Other than supporting docs for income, expenses, etc., do I need any other VA forms? Thank you so much for your help with this.

    Also, when I fill out the 21-526... I was going to put his address but my contact telephone numbers because he has parkinson's and is not great with the telephone. Should I do that or put his contact telephone numbers and hope they don't call him?
  6. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    You are good to go.

    Good luck and keep us posted.

Share This Page