Just Beginning the process - Advice needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JGK, Jan 21, 2011.

1. JGK

JGK Newbie

Thanks in advance for the help and the forum. A couple of quick questions: I have what I think is a complete package: DD214, Social Security Benefit Ltr, Bank Statements for 120 days (there are no other resources), VA Form 21-2680, Statement from the Assisted Living Facility, Dr Records, Cover letter describing the situation and asking it to be expedited - My dad is 82 and very few resources. We filed the Informal Claim, The local VA office provided a VA Pension Worksheet that documents his income (Only SSN for 950 a month), VA Form 21-0845 3rd Party Disclosure. Do we need any other documents - the local office provided a checklist but I don't see where I can document his other medical expenses. the ALF shows $2425 a month - Do we need the VA Form 21-8416?

Anything else that we should provide? Also they recommended we meet woth a local VA Service Officer but the first appt is almost a month away. My dad will exhaust every dollar in his savings to cover the gap between the ALF costs and SSN in 7 months. SHould we wait for appt - We asked to get in with any cancellation.

Any help with things we should know to get it right the first time would be greatly appreciated. THANKS !!!!

2. AnnieN

AnnieN Newbie

Hi JGK. When I started this process I consulted first with a clueless Veteran Service Officer who insisted my parent, the Vet, would not qualify for A&A. He called his contact in Seattle, was put straight, then told us, "Oh, I feel terrible. I turned away three veterans last week". Following this website's advice, I did the complete application and my parent received benefits in four months. Here's a link to an interesting discussion on VSO's and Aid and Attendance: http://veteranaid.org/forums/index.php/topic,1081.msg4008.html#msg4008.

I can't help with the forms question, but there is a useful search function in the upper right hand corner that might help. Good luck to you. Annie