It's been 6 months-

Discussion in 'Waiting on Updates' started by amitche1, Apr 20, 2015.

1. amitche1

amitche1 Newbie

Hi all,
    My mother and I sat down with a VA rep in Florida on October 24th, 2015. I had all the supporting documents, and the VA rep went ahead and filled out all the paperwork while we were there. Because my mom is not capable of managing her finances, we also had to submit an additional form letting them know that I am the one that takes care of all of her finances. We did not hear anything from the VA until I called the VA rep earlier this month, inquiring about if the VA had received the paperwork. The VA rep called the VA and found out they had gotten the paperwork, and we finally got a letter from the VA letting us know-and apologizing for how long the paperwork was taking. I kind of believe that my mom had already gotten the first letter from VA, but did not know what it was, and threw it away. My mom does have mental issues, and dementia, so that is quite possible.
    How long should I wait before calling them again, to check the status? I don't want to be a pain in the butt, however, my mom really needs this income to help cover some of her medical and daily care expenses. My husband and I are having to pay to cover those expenses, and its getting rather difficult for us.
    Thanks!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I would wait another 30 days before calling them. However the VA has been getting most of the applications done in less than 6 months providing the right forms and all supporting documentation was provided, so I am just a little curious you are this far out, but nothing to be concerned about as long as you know they did receive it.

3. amitche1

amitche1 Newbie

Ok, thank you, and I appreciate your response. I will wait the 30 days before calling again. I did think it was very nice of the VA to send us a letter apologizing for the delay. Just for a bit more clarification, we went through the county Veteran Services division, in the county that she resides. Because I had attempted to do the packet myself, (but had not submitted it), I already had all of the information they needed to complete the packet.
    I will update once I hear back from them.
    Thanks!

Edited to add: My moms packet was sent to the Philadelphia office.

4. vetadmin

The PA office is the least desirable of the three Pension Centers. They are currently going through quite a challenge, so I strong encourage you to stay on top of this.

Things could easily get dragged out. http://ow.ly/LOcPN

5. amitche1

amitche1 Newbie

This is horrible! I can't even begin to describe the anger for that whole situation. I will certainly call every 30 days, then. Thank you for the information.

6. vetadmin

Everybody in this country should be angry at the VA's deliberate failure of our veterans.