Is it worth an appeal?

Discussion in 'Expenses' started by am1125, Dec 7, 2015.

1. am1125

am1125 Newbie

My father was recently awarded $1063/month and are showing a countable income of $12,692. They based this amount on payments for Medicare Part B, private medical insurance, incontinence supplies and in home care costs. Since the time of the application, the in home care costs have risen by a few hundred dollars so we are considering applying for an appeal while we wait for the field interview to appoint the fiduciary (my mother). Is it even worth going through that appeal process?

We have since moved my parents in with my sister. Can we add the $500 in rent/utilities/food that they pay to my sister in with the considered costs? If so, what would need to need to show as accounting of that payment?

Thank you for your time.

Tracie

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

am1125,

Our advice is to NEVER appeal to the VA. It can take years and most likely not give you the results you want. You can only include costs of care for your parents application--so the rent and utilities could most likely count, but the food would not. You would need to show your parent's bank account statements with a monthly check taken out to pay your sister.

I hope this helps and makes sense.

Kaylin

3. am1125

am1125 Newbie

Thank you Kaylin!

4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

You're welcome!!