Intent to file?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by squarah, Feb 10, 2011.

1. squarah

squarah Newbie

I've been reading on the forum about sending the VA a notice of intent to file for A&A benefits?? Is this something that is necessary? I've got my mom's application almost complete (just waiting for the letter from the ALF) but I never sent a notice of intent to file? Did I miss a step?

Also, where exactly do I send my application (after making copies and sending it return receipt of course!) if my mom lives in NY?

Thanks!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

No, you did not miss a step. That is usually done when it is going to take quite a bit of time to gather all the necessary documents.

You need to mail to:

Philadelphia Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    5000 Wissahickon Avenue
    Philadelphia, PA 19101

Good luck with the process.

3. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

I have just found this site and started to dig into the process of applying for benefits for my Vet dad. I am going to have to obtain his service record, among other things. Should I file an Intent to file form?

4. vetadmin

If it is going to take you a bit to do that, then yes, it will start the clock on the claim for you.

5. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

is there a time frame below which it doesn't make sense to file the Intent paperwork? I'm not sure how long it was take to gather things together but I think at least a couple to three months.

Thanks.

6. vetadmin

7. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

Thank you.

Please advise on signatures. My dad has dementia and his signature is unrecognizable, and he would not necessarily understand what he was signing. Should I just have him sign whatever way he can?

8. vetadmin

Hold his hand so he can make an "X" and have it witnessed.

9. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

Meaning the witness signs next to the X for the VA to see, or I get a written statement from the witness, or I just know who it is in case i'm asked?

10. vetadmin

Whoever witnesses it needs to sign next to the "X".

11. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

Thank you very much.

12. vetadmin

You're welcome!

13. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

also, where do I send the Intent to File form, and later on, the application? My Dad lives in Massachusetts.

Thanks.

14. vetadmin

Philadelphia Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    5000 Wissahickon Avenue
    Philadelphia, PA 19101