intent to file or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rockola, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Hi. Based on a 3-yr-old thread I just read on sending intent to file vs FDC and the fact that Philadelphia, said to have the worst reputation of the three at the time is our center, I wonder whether it makes sense to do an intent to file or not. I'm just getting started on a sick-spouse A&A application for my 94-yr-old WWII-Vet dad - having got only the certified copy of his discharge papers so far - based on my mom's 20-hrs-a-day paid home health/personal care aides. (Other info: They're down to about $20K in liquid assets (a checking acct.), have monthly income of about $1600 in SS and $700 in loan repayment (from my sib), and home care expense of about $5K/mo - i.e., should be a no-brainer (in a reasonably sane, never mind ideal, world), unless VA thinks $20K is enough for a 94- and 91-yr-old to live on for rest of their lives. They own the house they still live in, valued at about $215K.)
    I'd greatly appreciate any opinions and/or advice anyone wants to offer. Thanks!

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Rockola,

It sounds like you're ready to file for the sick spouse application! Did your WWII dad serve during this approved period of war time:

World War II: December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946, extended to July 25, 1947, where continuous with active duty on or before December 31, 1946

Based on what you said, it sounds like you're ready to go. I would recommend emphasizing on the application that you want it expedited due to her advanced age.

Good luck!

3. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Thanks, Kaylin, for the prompt reply. So, in other words, don't bother w/intent to file?

4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Rockola,

If you think it might take a while to get all the documents you need, then go ahead and do an Intent to File. If not, if you think you're ready to go in less than a month, I'd say go for it.

5. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Got it. Thanks again!