independent living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nagaer, Feb 6, 2012.

1. nagaer

nagaer Newbie

My 86 father is some what independent. Can dress himself and heat a TV dinner.he has copd and lung cancer we just found out last week. I've been helping him for a year.with no pay. His house is not good for him..swap cooler steep steps. I'm not sure if indepent living or assisted living would be better,. I would hate to move him later..he can't afford either he only gets 1400 a month.. I'm the only sibling and he doesn't have any other family.. I'm considering the a&a.. I need any advice

2. nagaer

nagaer Newbie

Someone just suggested to me to have my father go into independent living and for me to continue being his care giver and use that money to help pay for independent living... any comments or thought to this???

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I'm curious as to who suggested Independent Living??

Problem that you may encounter there is if they don't meet the medical condition of needing assistance with day-to-day living. Certain Independent properties promise the vet will qualify, but in the end they don't. Then you have to deal with back rent owed, and moving out.

Is Dad still driving?

Your Dad can pay you now to act as his caregiver, and once the award came through, you could place him a care facility that meets his needs, the definition of this pension, as a suggestion.

4. nagaer

nagaer Newbie

The factity suggested independent because it is cheaper than assisted. I wanted to get him in something soon with not knowing how bad the cancer is.. no he does not drive..I could put him in assisted living and use what little money he has and gamble the VA will pay him back something . Or ask the VA to help pay me and he stays there.does he need to be in a facitly before they will pay?

5. nagaer

nagaer Newbie

One more twist to the story...dad is married , but she moved out a her ago..how bad does that complcate things ?

6. vetadmin

I think you need to fully explore your options here. If you keep him at home, you can apply as long as he is paying you to be his caregiver.

When he applies as a married veteran, the VA is going to want to know both incomes even though he would be applying only as a vet and not vet with spouse who also needs assistance.

It seems to me that you may be borderline here and again the concern the VA will not recognize the IL vs ALF based on services and how the Dr's evaluation is written.

7. nagaer

nagaer Newbie

He started paying me this month.. I only stay from 8:15 to 2:15 and again at 8:00 and take him to appts. And I do his food shopping.. I don't stay the night due to my three kids still at home.. is that enough to get paid?? Can someone have a job and be a caregiver??? I'm unemployed now the comp. I worked for went out of business
    So for now I will keep him at home and help him get a divorce.. and wait to see the results of the whole body scan... your web site is amazing...keep up the good work. :)

8. Fit2009

Fit2009 Sr. Member

Of course you can, find out what caregivers are paid in your area and don't pay yourself more.

9. katy225

katy225 Newbie

As far as the married but separated part? You can write up a statement for your Dad saying that he has been separated from his wife since (date) and they do not contribute to each others financial support. Include in the statement that they have separate incomes, assets and file separate tax returns with no knowledge of each others financial affairs. Also add that he wishes to apply for the single rate. Have your Dad sign it.

I got this information from a lady at the Senior Center who did just that and her Dad was awarded the rate of a single vet. In his case they couldn't find the long lost wife.

I most certainly am in no position to say that it will definitely be accepted but I believe it's the only thing you can do in this situation.

10. nagaer

nagaer Newbie

On February 23, 2012 I went to my local VA office and they submitted my fathers application. On march 16, 2012 the VA sent me a letter saying they received my fathers application. Quote: however, as we have a great number of claims, action on yours my be delayed. We are in the process of deciding whether additional evidence or infomationis needed. How long should the process of deciding take? And it Go's on to say there is no need to contact us.

11. vetadmin

The VA never thinks you should contact them.

By June if you don't have a decision, you need to be following up on the status of the application.

12. nagaer

nagaer Newbie

I haven't heard from the VA since the last letter..my local office filled out and sent my dads app.. should I call the VA to see if they want more info?

13. vetadmin

I would call next week and make an inquiry about the status of the application.

14. nagaer

nagaer Newbie

My dad has fallen again... can he still get the a & a if he moves in with me?

15. vetadmin

He would have to be paying you to act as his caregiver, so he would have the medical deduction for care expenses, but yes, he can move in with you and still qualify.