Independent Living and ADL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lynnejacob2001, Apr 28, 2015.

?

What Counts towards income offset

1. IL Income Offset

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. IL Rent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. My mother, widow of a vet, can no longer live in a standard apt. She needs to move closer to me and will be in an IL. She doesn't need assisted living but needs the additional supervision that she can get in an IL. She is not a woman of means but still may be outside of the financial limits for the program. I'm somewhat confused by what services might count towards A&A. She will no longer be able to drive. She'll be on a meal plan. She'll need help with housekeeping and laundry. I've read that those types of services are considered more concierge then necessities. The services that fall squarely into the A&A she may not need. They are so expensive that the A&A benefit would not cover the cost. I have no idea how she is going to afford this.

If anyone has any insights or tips I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You will face a challenge with this, but her Dr. needs to clearly state that she needs to live in a modified environment, and note that she no longer is able to drive.

The VA is not so quick to award in IL properties, but if it can be proven that she is unable to live independently, and you have other services coming in to help with dressing, bathing. etc, which are services, the IL will not offer. Those outside services are allowable medical deductions.

3. Thank you! Do you know if housekeeping and laundry would be considered assistance? I will be doing her grocery shopping. Can we claim that as assistance?

One more question. She is currently in a rehab center in GA. She is expected to be released home by mid/late may. We won't be able to move her for at least 1 - 2 months beyond that. She will need daily, in-home care before we move her to VA and into an IL. At what point should we apply? If we apply while she is in GA how do we alert the VA to the change in her status?

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Housekeeping and laundry are not allowable expenses, nor is shopping for her.

You need the assistance with dressing, bathing, eating, medication management, walking, transferring etc.

You can't claim expenses until she is actually incurring them. Usually in rehab situations, Medicare pays that up to 90 days.

Once she is home and paying for care, you can start the application process.