In Home Care

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by Allie, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Allie

Allie Newbie

what documentation do you need from the home care agency to send with your application. I want to make sure I have everything I need before filing.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Allie, I would include a copy of any sort of contract you have drawn up with the home care agency. If there is no contract, you can find a caregiver contract on our site as an example here:

It isn't required, but it could help. And any copies of bank statements showing he is paying for that home care.
  3. Allie

Allie Newbie

Does the caregiver need to be full time to qualify or can part time (i.e.:3 hrs per day, 7 days per week) be ok for qualification? Also, can a family member be considered a caregiver or does it need to be a certified agency?
    Thanks for all your help.
  4. Kaylin

Part time is fine. What the VA mostly looks at for this particular pension benefit is how much the veteran/spouse is paying for care each month vs. how much income he/she is getting each month. If the payments for care exceed the income and his/her assets are below about $80,000 (not including house and car) then he/she is eligible. A family member can be a caregiver. As long as they are getting paid for the caregiving. You're welcome!
  5. David Rose

David Rose Newbie

Is there any help for the wife of a veteran, (1963-66) who is going to be needing in home care ?
  6. Kaylin

Hello David, yes I would look into the Aid and Attendance benefit for that wife. If the veteran served during the approved periods of war (which I'll list below), then she should be eligible for the A&A benefit as long as she is paying for care and her assets are below about $80,000. Read through to really understand the benefit and see if applying is the right thing to do.

Approved periods of war:
    • World War II: December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946, extended to July 25, 1947, where continuous with active duty on or before December 31, 1946
    • Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950, through January 31, 1955.
    • Vietnam Era: August 5, 1964, through May 7, 1975.90 However, February 28, 1961, through May 7, 1975, for a veteran who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period.
    • Persian Gulf War: August 2, 1990, through a date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law.
    • Congress has not enacted legislation that would make the periods covering the 1983-1984 Lebanon crisis or the invasions of Grenada and Panama wartime service.