I'm a Newbie, BUT ...

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by TryingToHelp, Dec 2, 2012.

1. TryingToHelp

TryingToHelp Newbie

;D

I am a retired Veteran Service Representative (VSR) and STILL and ALWAYS WILL BE an ADVOCATE of Veterans and their families FOREVER!

I hope that I will be able to help those on this site. I don't want to over-step my boundaries though, so if I say something wrong or you find it offensive, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me!

Most of my time as a VSR I worked in the Public Contact field. I LOVED my job! How often do you hear that from a VA employee??? Anyway, I have a lot of knowledge about a lot of different aspects of the VA. When I first started working for the VA, I worked in the health care facility, then I worked as an Office Manager at at Vet Center (which is my 1st Fav Job with the VA), so I have knowledge of Post Traumatic Stress as well.

Anyway, I have LOTS OF KNOWLEDGE that I am willing to share! I know Nonservice-Connected Pension as well as Service Connected Compensation and a few things in between!

2. 55leland

55leland Newbie

Thank you so much for your service to the VA and your willingness to help verterans who are not familar with VA rules and regulations.

I have a question that you might be able advise me about.

My Mother-in-law is now in an assited living facility, she is 91 years old, and we are in the process of applying for VA aid and assistance. Her total assets are about $30,000 plus here home (where her daughter lives and where she was taken care of by her daughter for the past 4 years). Her only income is SS ($1600/mo). Her husband is deceased and a WW II verteran.

My question: Does she meet the medical requirement to receive aid and attnedance? She has had both hips replaced and can only walk with a walker and only for about 100 yards. She can feed herself but cannot shop or prepare her own meals. She can get dressed and shower by herself but must have someone available if she falls (assisted living provides emergency call button and responds in less than 3 minutes). We handle all her financial affairs. She is unable to live alone and must have the security and resources of assisted living. However, currently the assisted living facilty does not assist in her feeding.(execpt preparing all meals), does not assist in her bathing, does not assist in her dressing, and does not assist in her medication (she takes two prescription pills each morning).

Would she quilify?

Thank you for any insight you can give.

3. LABRAT1954

LABRAT1954 Newbie

I'M NEW HERE TOO, JUST RAN ACROSS THIS SITE. MY FATHER WHO LIVES WITH ME GETS AID AND ATTEBNDANCE. I WAS ALSO NOTIFIED THAT HE MIGHT QUALIFY FOR RETRO PAY FOR ONE YEAR, FILLED OUT FORMS, SENT CERTIFIED MAIL, RECIEVED CONFIRMATION OF RECIEPT AND SINCE THEN , NOTHING. THIS WAS ABOUT 12 MONTHS AGO. I CALLED ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO AND THEY DON'T SEEM TO KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, BUT GENERATED AN INQUIRY. HAVE HEARD NOTHING. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR MY NEXT STEP. MY DAD IS RAPIDLY DETERIORATING AND I NEED TO MAKE SOME MORE ALTERATIONS TO THE HOUSE AS WE PLAN TO KEEP HIM AT HOME FOR THE DURATION. ANY "EXTRA" MONEY WOULD HELP

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Try calling them again, and if you can't get anywhere with that, involve his Senator or Congressperson and have them make an inquiry to the status.

5. LABRAT1954

LABRAT1954 Newbie

Thanks,will do.