How to Organize papers

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by maralina1, Apr 27, 2011.

1. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

I have all the information gathered. I bought a three ring binder with colored tabs as suggested. In what order should I compile the paperwork? Thanks again for all the help!

2. Max

Max Hero Member

Wow! Quite organized!

What all are you turning in? How can you possibly have enough paperwork to warrant a binder?

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

4. Max

Max Hero Member

If I were you, I would submit everything in this order:

21-526
    21-2680
    original or certified copy of your discharge document
    Care expense statement (monthly cost, date care began, signature of vet and caregiver, services provided)

You do NOT need to submit anything else. If you wantto submit a 21-0845 for authorization to discuss the claim with someone other than the veteran, you can. But it isn't necessary.

5. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Actually my mother is filing for my dad who has Alzheimer's. I am helping her. I read that if papers were sent in a small ring binder the VA wouldn't have a chance to lose them. The MD just sent the evaluation form. The nurse filled it out and he signed it. Line 10 states that he has Alzheimer's dementia. Questions 21-27 were answered yes or no, without explanation. The 2nd page was filled out but 32 was left blank. I am taking the form back tommorrow. I will request the Dr. indicate the severity of his condition and how long his condition has been this severe. Also, I will ask them to state that my dad needs assisitance for day to day living and cannot be left alone. Is this correct? Sorry for the change of subject.

6. vetadmin

You're fine, and NEVER leave any question "blank". Even if it doesn't apply, put N/A.

7. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

We have all our info together and will be sending it fedex return receipt tommorrow. Decided to just send necessary information. I included a letter from myself stating that I am the primary Caregiveer and have been for over one year, my duties, what I charge monthly, and how many hours. Dated and signed by myself, and parents. My Dad has taken a turn for the worse this past month and I think I will need outside help some days. This pension will certainly help. I would like to thank everyone again for their information and advice. We never could have done this ourselves without this website. I will keep you posted on any updates.

8. vetadmin

Good luck with the application process, and so glad that the site and forums have been able to help you through this process.

Please do keep up updated as things progress.