How to get an appt. when you are pretty sure you are ready to file???

Discussion in 'Tips and Resources' started by Lizzie, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie Thanks to all who serve and help.

Dear Folks,

Excellent info on the forum--it has helped me greatly preparing to file for my 89-yr.- old mom(surviving spouse). My problem, after filing unofficial claim to start clock and using the time to gather hard-to-get documents, I can't seem to make an appt. with or get a call back from my local VSO. It is ticking down to about 2 weeks. (Right, I know...) The lack of follow-up is making me nervous. I have called, left voice messages, and left messages with a new volunteer. (The last actual phone answerer seems to have disappeared.) On the occasions the phone is answered, no one who can help me is in. I know that they are doing outreach and a homeless vet project, but have I been abandoned? I really need to get this squared away for my mom since she is in an ALF and we are running out of funds and I am having to pay her bills, etc., out of pocket.

Should I just forge ahead and do it myself? I was advised to use the VSO but how does that help if you cannot get in to see someone? Any ideas? I will do it myself and call my senator if no one calls me back again. The last time I was scheduled in was July and I had to try to reschedule. Now it is Sept.

Thanks,
    Lizzie

P.S. Thanks for all you do, Debbie.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Lizzie,

Forge ahead on your own with the support of the site and these forums. Go to the Success stories here and look for a post by wfrancis. She outlines exacatly how she put it all together. It is an old post so you will have to go back away, but it will help you a lot.

Don't wait, and all I can say is if you can't get ahold of anyone now, just imagine how it would be for the follow up or in need of a timely answer. Think you have gotten enough of an idea of how things work in this particular office you are dealing with.

Thanks for your kind words.

3. Lizzie

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for this place and this opportunity to learn from everyone. I am working hard to get this in ASAP.

Lizzie

4. ClaudiaW

ClaudiaW Newbie

Lizzie, I had a similar experience with my local (rural NY state) veterans assistance office. I won't detail it here, but suffice it to say that after getting all the requested information in to them in June 2011, by July 2012 they still had not acted to file my mother's application! This is after repeated in person visits by me to the office. I finally notified them to close their file and completed and filed the application within 2 weeks time on my own. I don't have any result to report yet, but completing the form can be done independently especially with help from veteranaid.org and other helpful websites. I had allowed myself to be buffaloed by all the warnings from the local "assistance" office and others on websites that the form is SO long and complicated that you have to have help. :-\

5. Lizzie

Claudia,

All the best with your claim. It is certainly a shame that we are told to go for help and then it is not there. I have given up on anything but myself and this Web site and the people behind it. I have been I'll for over 2 weeks (food poisoning) so will undertake an overnight delivery Mon. No one else can do this for me.

I have seen the P. O. Box address for Philadelphia and a street address. Looking it up on Google Maps, they appear to be the same location. My local Post Office will not say if return receipt works at P .O. Boxes. Any idea? I have tried to call the VA but cannot even get to the call back option

Thanks.

Lizzie

6. vetadmin

Mail to the physical address and NOT the PO Box!

7. Lizzie

Debbie,

Wow--fast! Thank you for a quick and oh, so timely answer.

Lizzie

8. vetadmin

You're welcome!

9. Lizzie

Debbie,

I underestimated the power of illness--I had food poisoning and am still not even 50%. It just took me down--Listeria from lettuce--and I doubt it would have done such a number on me if I wasn't so stressed out about the VA benefits. I have been unable to get everything ready for send-off. Is there any hope for letting the VA (Philadelphia office) know that I was almost ready and then this act of nature waylaid me?

I have a phone # that is not the national # from some correspondence and may give it a try. There is a claim number and I have the information, just not sendable at this time, due to my illness. I have no one to help me other than my husband who is a at work long hours and has not been involved other than to voice his support. I do not hold that against him as he has taken great pride in doing for my mother what I have been unable to do.

My sibling has made it clear that she will not help in any matter concerning our mother.

Any ideas??? I appreciate you so much.

Lizzie :(

10. vetadmin

Lizzie,

I replied with a suggestion to you via email.

Feel better soon. Sounds like you have had quite a time of it!