How long should I expect a PRIORITY (for age) application to take.

Discussion in 'Waiting on Updates' started by deanyj, Mar 22, 2016.

1. deanyj

deanyj Newbie

Do you know the average amount of time for a Priority application to be processed? (WWII 93 years, legally blind)

Application received by the VA in Philadelphia March 3, 2016, per the USPS. I have not received a letter stating that the application has been received yet. I did attach a cover letter stating his age and blindness and asked for priority processing.

Also, I am not sure how to send in an additional piece of information. I did not know I needed a "statement of occupancy" in an assisted living. The request for Nursing Home Information, which I corrected to ALF, (Form 21-0779) question 9 is a certification that the claimant is a patient in this facility. Question 8 states the amount that he is paying. Is it necessary to send another form saying the same thing? Since they have not yet asked for this, should I
    be proactive and send it anyway?

I know this seems anxious, but he is down to $6,000.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

deanyj,

There is not a set time, but a Fully Developed Claim with a request for expedition should be under 4 months, but no guarantees.

It is not uncommon for it to take 45+ days to get a letter acknowledging receipt of the application.

No you don't need to send another one.

Patience is truly necessary for this process.

3. deanyj

deanyj Newbie

You answered all my questions. I feel more confident now.

Thank you for being so patient with me.

4. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

deanyj,

Just to give you an idea of a timeline, I submitted an A&A claim to the Philly VA (for my MIL, widow of a WWII vet) in Dec. 2014 and it was approved almost exactly 6 months later. Like you, I requested an expedite because of her age (90) and undergoing cancer treatment. Frankly, I don't think the VA handles "expedites" any differently. Good luck to you.

5. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Thank you for your input and help, jscott. It's good to get the idea of how others' stories went when applying for this benefit.

6. deanyj

deanyj Newbie

I want to thank jscott for the reply to my question. Sorry it took so long for me to respond to you.

I finally got a letter saying that the VA received my application. "It is our sincere desire to decide your case promptly. However, as we have a great number of claims, action on yours may be delayed." ".... there is no need to contact us in the meantime." This was dated March 17. They actually received the application on March 3, 2016. You may be right about how they handle "priority" cases.

7. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

Based on my experience (which I posted about in the Share Your Experience section), it took my phone call to get the VA employee to put an expedite on MIL's file. After checking the timeline (it had fallen through the cracks), he told me he that he would request an expedite (telling me she did indeed meet the criteria based on my cover letter). Based on this, my opinion is that -- no matter what we say in a cover letter -- that a VA employee has to be prompted to put an expedite on this file, and that may only happen if you call.