Home care to assisted living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toxdoc49, May 3, 2016.

1. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

My wife currently cares for my 84-year old mother in law (home care). We are looking at assisted living facilities while we fill out the Aid and Attendance benefit. My question is whether the VA requires an assisted living contract in place before awarding money, or if home care can be used under the benefit until we are able to find the right facility. I have been told that the person has to be in a facility first. Thanks for any help.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

toxdoc49,

The VA will consider whatever amount you pay for ANY type of care, which includes home care, when you are applying for the benefit.

If you are looking for assisted living for your mother-in-law I highly recommend calling (866) 900-4969. They will connect you with a local senior advisor in your area who is an expert in assisted living facilities near where your mother lives or wants to live. Their service is completely free and by far the best out there.

3. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

Thank you, I appreciate your help!

4. Kaylin

You're welcome!

5. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

Sorry to keep asking. I am confused on when to submit the application for Aid and Attendance. Do I submit while my mother in law is still receiving in home care from my wife, which may result in a lesser benefit, or do I submit once she is in an assisted living facility, to make sure she gets the maximum benefit she is entitled to? It is easier to show the expense of assisted living, even though the expense of in home care may be similar but no real way to show that. thanks

6. Kaylin

toxdoc9,

No problem. It can be confusing. I answered this question on the other thread you posted to here:
    http://www.veteranaid.org/forums/index.php/topic,2497.540.html

7. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

Is there a blog or another thread that talks about what people do to cover the cost of assisted living/nursing care while they wait for the VA aid and attendance benefit? I know there are loan programs; we don't have resources to make up the income gap between my mother in law's monthly income and the assisted living cost. I know under the best circumstances that gap may only last maybe 6 months but was wondering if I missed something in this area. thank you.

8. Kaylin

toxdoc49,

I do not know of a thread currently, but you could try searching in the "search" box near the top. Just make sure you do your homework on any loan programs because they are notorious for taking advantage of veterans who are applying for the Aid and Attendance benefit. Ask questions and check out reviews!

9. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

Thank you for the advice. I have already seen some services that charge for things they should not, like helping with the application. This site is full of great advice by people willing to help and I'm glad that i found it.

10. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

This question has been bothering me and I am trying to state it clearly. Can the person being cared for in the home receive the same maximum benefit if a family member is the caregiver? I think if the caregiver were 'charging' the same amounts you see in ALFs for the same services (since I am sure they do essentially the same things), that should be possible. Or does the caregiver have to be licensed in order to list charges for services equivalent to an ALF?

11. Kaylin

When the VA decides the award amount they will look at the difference that needs to be made up in the monthly income the applicant (veteran and/or spouse) currently has coming in vs. the monthly amount they are spending on care. So, yes, technically a caregiver could be charging just as much for services per month as an assisted living facility. They would not necessarily have to be licensed if it is a family member.

12. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

Thank you. If the homebound benefit is being sought, I have a few questions about the application:

does the physician statement need to be included in the VA application for the home bound benefit?

Do you list the caregiver name in section X as a monthly expense line item ("paid to") ?

Do you list the amount paid by the person to the caregiver each month for care given in the home?

I'm asking because in my current case, my wife does currently care for her mother but we really don't have any way of bridging the financial gap for assisted living
    cost while waiting for the VA A&A approval , which everyone knows takes a lot of time.

13. Kaylin

toxdoc49,

Yes, the physician's statement still needs to be included for the housebound level of benefit because the applicant is still paying for care.

That sounds like the right thing to do in Section X.

Yes, list the amount the applicant pays to the caregiver each month. This will have to be by check so that you can show records.

Even if your mother-in-law is paying for home care, she could be eligible for the Aid and Attendance benefit. The VA can look at her situation and award her accordingly. I can't say which way their ruling will go, but you are right in thinking about asking questions for the housebound level of the benefit just in case she is not awarded the full A&A benefit.

14. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

If my mother in law has a short term stay at an assisted living facility, would that be covered at all by the VA? We are thinking now that an assisted living facility is best for her, but are starting out with a short-term (30 day) stay. I wonder if we should just apply if/when she becomes a permanent resident, or if it works another way for short-term stays. thanks in advance.

15. Kaylin

It wouldn't work any differently for a short term stay in an ALF in this case. The VA should see it as paying for care. If her expenses were to go up in the ALF after you had already applied for the benefit (whether she had been awarded or not) you could always sent in a Statement in Support of Claim with any bank statements and in this case also the nursing home status statement form and a statement of residency from the ALF to send in to show her increase in care. Her award money may be adjusted for that, it's hard to say, since it's a short term stay. Just make sure you keep any and all receipts for her care costs so you can use them if the award amount needs to be adjusted.

toxdoc49 likes this.