HELP WITH QUESTION/ VETERAN ON SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tim, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Tim

Tim Newbie

I could use help with a question. Could a veteran that has a 100% service connected disability rating and dealing
    with multiple issues including chronic pain and high doses of pain medicine get this aid. This person has 4200.00
    a month income which is social security disability and veterans disability. The assisted living place wants 3400.00 a month for a one bedroom effeciency. It could go up to 3800. The veteran has about 10,000 checking and savings
    and i read where they can't count the house( which has a mortgage) and the car as far as income. This person had a jaw joint replacement then had it taken out, spinal surgery, knee replacement with also nerve injury and leg 1/2 inch shorter etc. Nerve pain in legs and feet. Thanks for any replies in advance!!.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

A veteran rated at 100% who requries the assistance of others for day to day living for the injuries related to the 100% is eligible for an additional $650 (approximate) a month.

They do not have to do the entire application. Only do VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim and the Physician Statment. The 21-4138 needs to say " I now require the assistance of others for my daily living"

3. Tim

Tim Newbie

They would not qualify for the 1700 if they had to go to an assisted living home??
    Thanks for your help Tim

4. vetadmin

Tim,

I responded to your email, but for others here, the answer is no. Just the addition of A&A on top of his 100% compensation.

5. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

Could the veteran apply if he has PTSD and Depression not necessarily any extreme physical problems?
    Problems short term memory loss,sleeps alot due to medications he is on, personal hygience etc? If the
    Dr at the PTSD clinic he goes to writes a confirming letter would this satisfy the physicians statement?
    Already receives compensation for this from VA.
    Thanks

6. vetadmin

This goes to a "compensation" issue and not so much "pension"