Help for 57 year old Down Syndrome child of WWII Vet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 98bonga, Apr 21, 2017.

  1. 98bonga

    98bonga Newbie

    My dad passed last August and was almost 99. My 57 year old Down Syndrome sister has been living with me. I understand because she was "disabled" before age 18, there may be some benefits for her just like a surviving spouse. I live in another state, she is in Michigan. She has Medicaid/Medicare and receives $1300 social security, has no assets. She goes to a sheltered workshop each day. I am looking at an independent/assisted living facility that will run $2,ooo plus a month, sharing an apartment with a roommate. She is fairly high functioning, but definitely needs guidance, assistance with daily living and could never live alone or negotiate life without help. I spoke to an attorney yesterday who is sending some paperwork, then will have a meeting. From all I have been reading, it seems best to have an attorney do the application for speed and correctness. If anyone has any experience or guidance with applying for a disabled child, I would appreciate any advice.

Share This Page