Having trouble with eligibility due to my mother's Long Term Care Insurance

Discussion in 'Eligibility Questions' started by kathip22, Jan 11, 2017.

1. kathip22

kathip22 Newbie

My 90 year old mother lives in an independent living facility but is in need of some help with her ADL'S. We do not want to use her Long Term Care Insurance until her health becomes worse tHan it is now. She has no assets and her income barely covers her rent. I have been told that she would not qualify for Aid and Attendance because of her LTCI even if she is not using it. Is that true? We are getting desperate for help. Thank you.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Your mother could certainly qualify for the A&A benefit, especially since she is not using her LTC insurance. I think where someone got confused in telling you this information was, depending on her LTC insurance amount, it could put her assets/income over the amount that she is currently paying for care.

My main concern is the independent living facility. You mentioned she needs help with ADL's - does she hire a separate company to come in and help her with these ADL's on a regular basis? Or a family member? If so - she could qualify.

3. kathip22

kathip22 Newbie

Thanks so much Kaylin. That makes things so much better for her. Yes, she pays a separate personal care company to provide the care she needs. Will we need to submit the invoices when we send in the application? Thanks again.

Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Any evidence you can provide in the application that shows her paying for care is helpful. Invoices and/or bank statements from your mother are good. And you're welcome! Good luck!