HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vetadmin, Jul 3, 2012.

1. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Just wanted to wish everyone a safe and Happy 4th of July!

I will be going back to DC on Tuesday to speak with more Senators regarding the purposed look-back bill impacting Aid and Attendance, so keep a positve thought for me and our veterans.

Please support one another and jump in with answers if you have them.

God Bless America and those who defend her!

2. vbcoder

vbcoder Jr. Member

Happy 4th of July to you, too Debbie. I hope you get some good results with your talk with the Senators.

3. vetadmin

Thanks!

4. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

Happy Belated 4th of July! And good luck in DC!

Let us know if we can do anything to help with this issue, more letters, phone calls, etc.

5. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Yes...Good luck in Washington! Blessings and safe travel. :)

6. vetadmin

Thanks!

7. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

Speaking of look back period, here is the response I received from one of my senators today:

Thank you for contacting me about military retirement. I share your concerns that we have an obligation to provide veterans, and their families, with the benefits they deserve.

America's veterans have given selflessly for their country. They have always been there for us, and we must take the necessary steps to ensure we are there for them. We all know that we need to make some tough choices about our federal budget. Reducing retirement funding for the 750,000 veterans who call Michigan home is irresponsible and not an option.

I will continue to work with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to provide the services and the resources our veterans, and their families, have earned. As we continue to pray for our soldiers, we must also keep our nation's promise to those in uniform and their families.

Please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I can be of assistance to you or your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

First of all, it's not MILITARY RETIREMENT. It's something completely different. Shows how much SHE knows about this benefit.

8. newpenny

newpenny Jr. Member

Good luck in Washington

9. vetadmin

Thanks NewPenny!

Marp, that is more time than not the problem. This pension is so hidden, and I can promise you she has no idea that the VA classifies 100% disabled at age 65. How can you defend or support what you don't understand????

10. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

Has a bill # been assigned for the look back period? I've tried searching the Library of Congress site and couldn't find any bills dealing with the Improved Pension. Giving our senators a bill # when we contact them could help their staff with the research and with understanding exactly what we're talking about.

11. vetadmin

12. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

Response from Senator #2 regarding the look back period:

Thank you for contacting me about with your thoughts regarding a 'look back' period for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). I appreciate you sharing your ideas with me.

Our country is home to roughly 26 million veterans of military service, including soldiers who battled to promote and protect our nation's commitment to democracy and liberty in conflicts such as World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom have created a new generation of veterans, many of whom will return to the United States in need of medical care. Throughout my time in the Senate, I have sought to honor our country’s obligation to support these courageous men and women by adequately funding health care and ensuring access to critical benefits.

I am committed to ensuring that the VA receives sufficient funding from Congress, both for health care and for the other services that veterans need and deserve. As issues relating to the VA come before the Senate, I will certainly keep your comments in mind.

Sincerely,
    Carl Levin

Clearly a form letter from someone who probably, again, doesn't know what I'm talking about (and he's the chair of the Senate Armed Forces Committee, which does review some bills pertaining to the VA, so he would be one I would think should know).

13. vetadmin

If the people who are responsible for running this country don't have a clue, or can't be bothered to educate themselves about issues, what can one say?

At the end of all this, I'm still confused about the answer to the question!

Thanks for sharing and confirming that we are in this on our own.

14. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

I don't know the answer to the question either. LOL. In that respect, this response is a typical response from Carl Levin's office.

The fact that the response is somewhat related to what I wrote to him about is not typical - others who have written to his office have received off the wall form letters on issues not remotely related to their concerns. Write to him about health care reform; you might get a response about national defense. Write to him about national defense, and he might tell you about offshore oil drilling in the Great Lakes.

Sending letters to Levin's office can be entertaining, and, with e-mail, the entertainment is free!

15. vetadmin

16. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

That is what I thought too! ;D We have to laugh to survive.