Great News! We got it!

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by HelpinDad, Apr 30, 2016.

1. HelpinDad

HelpinDad Newbie

Thursday while checking my fathers account for something else I found a deposit from the VA. Today we got the formal letter in the mail explaining that he had been awarded the max A&A pension.

First I want to thank Everyone here. The responses to my questions were always timely and very helpful. Thank You so much.

Secondly, I want you to know that Dad's application was mailed to the Philadelphia office. I had called them on two occasions. They were always professional and I am grateful for their work.

Third, You should be encouraged to know know that VA received the application on Feb 1,2016 and the award was granted on April 27. That is just under 3 months.

Lastly, If you are just now starting this process and you are confused and scared, Know that you are not alone. And that the advice on this board is wonderful. Take the time to read it, ask questions, and you will get through it. There are several people here who have been kind enough to publish their cover letters to the VA. I strongly suggest you paraphrase their work.

Again, Thank You to all. Bless You.

HelpinDad

gmasjo likes this.
  2. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

Congratulations! Restores my faith in humanity a bit.

3. eifan115

eifan115 Newbie

Thank you for the encouragement and I'm so happy for your news!

I am grateful to be filing to the Philadelphia office because I have read how good they are.

Hopeful that once I send in, we will have an approval as soon as yours!

Also so grateful to everyone here who responds so quickly to my many questions!

I have paraphrased one of the cover letters I found on here. Such a huge help to be able to benefit from the experience of others who have gone before!

4. tanya0090

tanya0090 Newbie

Yay! That is wonderful!

5. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

That is wonderful news! So happy for you, HelpinDad. It warms my heart to know your father is now receiving the benefit money he deserves and you had an overall good experience with getting him the Aid and Attendance benefit.

Happy to help! You've very welcome. :)

6. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

HelpinDad.

Thanks for sharing the good news, and we are so glad to have been here to share in the process.

I love knowing the efforts here make a difference!

7. sschramm

sschramm Newbie

Thanks for sharing your news! My sister and I started this procedure for my mother back in September (also through the Philadelphia office). We have gotten 2 letters so far saying they are still working on the claim (one of which requested more information back in January -- which we provided within the 30-day time frame). Do you have a "good" phone number that I could try to get in touch with them. Mom is running out of money quite rapidly, and this A&A money will definitely come in handy.

8. HelpinDad

HelpinDad Newbie

sschramm,

There is nothing special about the number I called. It was the one on the original form letter from the VA stating they received our application. 1-800-827-1000
    When I called, I found the prompts quite confusing. It's been a while so I don't remember them exactly. But eventually I got to a point where I was put in the queue and then was asked by a recording if I would rather have the VA call me back. (Also stating that I would not lose my place in the queue but that they would call me back when it was my turn) I did this both times. And each time I got a phone call back within a half hour. Make sure you have the VA file number and social security number and the answer to the security question from VA 21-0845.

Always be sure to mail followup information return receipt? And its a good idea to type your cover letters using form 21-4138.

That's really all I can add. I hope you get your award soon.
    HelpinDad

9. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

Helpin Dad,

Congrats! Great news also that the Philly office is taking less time. Mine took about 6 months, so there's improvement.