Grandfather's Benefits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ga1004peach, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ga1004peach

ga1004peach Newbie

I'm curious about whether or not my grandfather is considered a veteran. He was in the merchant marines for many years and served during WWII. Years ago, he tried to get VA benefits but was turned down because they said the merchant marines weren't considered a branch of the military. Is this so?

If he is actually considered a veteran, could my uncle file for benefits even though my grandfather passed away last year? If he was a veteran, it seems to me he should be entitled. My uncle was too busy caring for my granparents the last 10 years to try and go through the paperwork. Both my grandparents had AD and needed lots of care.

Thanks, Beth

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Beth,

I can't clarify the Merchant's Marine status for you. Perhaps our Advocate can more specifically address that issue, however to answer your question about your uncle filing now for your grandfather, the answer would be no. The veteran or spouse has to be living in order to submit an application.

You did not indicate whether your grandmother is still living, which if she qualifed as the widow of a veteran, she would be able to apply for benefits if she met all the qualifications.

Hope this helps.

3. ga1004peach

ga1004peach Newbie

Thanks, my grandmother has already passed away.

4. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

I'm curious about whether or not my grandfather is considered a veteran. He was in the merchant marines for many years and served during WWII. Years ago, he tried to get VA benefits but was turned down because they said the merchant marines weren't considered a branch of the military. Is this so?

The following regulation states that Merchant Marines are considered to have performed active military. This wasn’t always the case.

American Merchant Marine in Oceangoing Service during the Period of Armed Conflict, December 7, 1941, to August 15, 1945.

The Veteran Advocate