Getting ready to file for A and A

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by Leanne, May 27, 2015.

1. Leanne

Leanne Newbie

Hi there,

I've been reading this forum for a while now. I am getting ready to file the Aid and Attendance for my dad. 2 1/2 years ago he and my stepmom
    moved in with my husband and I. They were failing fast living on their own, they got needed support living here. Now, 2 1/2 years later they need more
    support than living in this household can give them, my father is basically helpless and my stepmom is failing again trying to do it all for him. My home is not big enough to have any more services brought in and my husband works from home, just the 2 oxygen machines going 24/7 can be a challenge some days. So, they made the decision to go into an ALF close by. We took form 21-2680 to their primary care physician and my dad had the examination and the form is being filled out. I'm not confident the Dr, will fill it out correctly but it's a start. They move in to the ALF Saturday and we are financing the gap between their income and what the A&A will cover. I must say we are fortunate to be able to do so because the Elder bridge loan services out there are Predatory! What and eye opener. Anyway, I'm prepared for the bureaucracy and time lag due to all the info I gleaned from this forum. The ALF has been very helpful and thanks to this wonderful benefit they can go into a nice place and maybe get a few more years. My dad is just 1 bad day from skilled nursing so now is the time to get him in the system too. I'll keep his outcome posted. Thanks again for this forum and all the info in it! :) Leanne

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Leanne,

You need to get the 21-2680 filled out for your step-Mom as well since you will be filing as a veteran with spouse who both need care and services.

Glad the forum has been helpful, and please do keep us posted. Mail Return Receipt to the right pension center for their state, and keep a complete copy for your records.

Good Luck!

3. catfancier

catfancier Newbie

HI,

Brand new forum member here...came to post and will but my first action is to reply to this thread... I was going to call Elderlife tomorrow and inquire about the bridge loan and saw your comment about them
    being "predatory"... can you give me some info about this? We will probably be placing a relative with a
    Personal Care Home within a month or so... just have to decide on best one. One place (mom & pop and they live onsite) say they will actually WAIT for us to get the A&A money. Other place says "oh, it takes soooo long" and they want "private pay." So I wanted to just see what the story is with ElderLife.
    A Brookdale franchise facility had their paperwork in their brochure but I assume they will work with
    other facilities as well.

Appreciate any insight!

We are in Houston, Texas if it makes any difference. Thanks so much.

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

catfancier,

In your other post you said you were looking to go into an assisted living facility and gave financial info on your family member's situation.

Elderlife is in the business of making loans, so keep that in mind. Saying that you could be waiting months, is a "closer" for them. Not that it can't take several months, but did they mention that if you do a FDC claim that it should only be a couple of months to award?

You will have to sign for the loan, as it would not make good business sense for a senior who may not live to see the term of the loan.

You can certainly proceed with whatever you feel comfortable with, but be informed about it.