Getting Close? Suggestions/Comments

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by nikiatl, Oct 5, 2010.

1. nikiatl

nikiatl Newbie

Hi,
    I've been working on A&A for my dad, who is in a nursing home, for the past 10 months. My mom recently received a letter requesting 1) signed affidavits from in-home caregivers from 2009, 2) financial and banking information documenting asset and interest for 2010, 3) VCAA Notice Response asking if we'd like a response within 30 days, and 4) Signature made by "X" form. Unfortunately, my dad's health has declined in the past 10 months and he can no longer sign his name so the "X" form is now necessary. The original date of claim is 1/1/2010, and it's my understanding that if my dad is awarded the benefit it's retroactive to the date of application. So, why would they be needing 2009 affidavits (will send anyways)? Also, since we're checking the box on the VCAA form that says to decide the claim as soon as possible, can we expect the 30-day waiting period to be accurate? Seems like we're getting close. Any suggestions/comments? Thank you! This is a wonderful forum filled with so much valuable information.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I would include 2010 form from caregiver in case that was a typo – and be sure to check the first box on the VCAA form and NOT the 2nd one. The second box will drag this out forever, and that's not what you want. The 30 days on the VCAA means nothing in regards to the VA responding in that timeframe.

Good Luck!

3. nikiatl

nikiatl Newbie

Thanks for the info. Also, my dad had four different agencies as caregivers in 2009. One of them will not fill out the affidavit unless my dad requests the information in writing first. The other three complied readily when presented with the affidavit only. The first one said it was because of HIPA. This is the only piece of paperwork holding up our submission at this point. If we do what they are asking it could be another week or more before the paperwork goes out. By the time the VA gets the followup paperwork it would be 30 days from their last letter. What is the allowable time to follow up a request? Don't know if we should sent it in without this piece or paperwork or not. This is getting to be very long and drawn out!!

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Can your dad call and speak with them? If that is not possible and they still insist the request in writing, get the request done and fax it to them, and tell them you need it NOW. The other would be to send what you have now as it may be a typo that they put 2009, and if it is an issue later, you can then send the affidavit from this one agency being difficult.

5. nikiatl

nikiatl Newbie

Good advice, thanks. I will send everything to the VA now. Thanks, again.