Form 21-0779

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toxdoc49, May 4, 2016.

1. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

When does this form get submitted? Does it have to go along with the 21-534EZ form? Or does it only get sent when the person is actually in a nursing home/assisted living facility? From what I read on this forum, the 21-0779 can be used for either situation. I just don't know when is the correct time to send it. Thanks

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

toxdoc49,

This form is used if the applicant is in a nursing home or assisted living facility. In your mother-in-law's case it is not needed if she is only using home care. You would submit this form along with a Statement of Occupancy from the nursing home/assisted living facility when/if your mother-in-law moves into one with a Statement in Support of Claim and any evidence (like bank statements) of payments made to the nursing home/ALF if you need the A&A award amount to be adjusted for increased expenses.

3. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

Thank you; I don't know why I am so mixed up about the timing of submitting the application for Aid and Attendance. I wish that the application could be submitted while we look for the right facility, but I guess the VA only looks at the current situation. I just don't want to submit the application at the wrong time and not get the maximum entitled benefit

4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

toxdoc49,

I understand! You are smart in doing your research. Ask as many questions as you need to.

5. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

Thank you; it sounds like from what I have read that it is best to have moved into a facility and submit the application then. There is no clear way to state to VA that in-home care costs the same as living at an assisted living facility, for example. If I could, then when /if she moves, we could update the information on where she is living to the VA without having to request an increase in benefit. the problem becomes (as for many) how to finance the gap until there is approval of the benefit. That's where I also have a problem since my mother in law has no assets at all besides the SS and pension income. But she does need assistance daily.