Fingers Crossed! (SUCCESS on 6/2/14!!)

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by InTheWoods, Apr 16, 2014.

1. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Newbie

March 24: I just mailed the application packet for my father-in-law's A&A. I followed the lead of others on this forum and put all the info in a binder and included a cover letter. Between the great info provided in this forum and a couple tips from the local VSO, I'm feel I've done the best I can and will have to wait and see if the VA deems he is qualified. My only concern is if they will accept him strictly based on dementia and the need for medication management and transportation. He is pretty self-sufficient other than that, but the assisted living facility has to give him reminders several times a day if he has appointments. Also concerned if they will let monthly loan payments made to him count as income. VA Legal Team on this forum provided some good info, but the world of finance is a mystery to me. I will update my progress in the event someone else out there ever has a similar situation. (I also made another donation to this site. Nothing better than people helping other people!)

UPDATE!!
    6/2/14: I'm shaking all over because we just got the award letter!! The process took 6 weeks. Here's my timeline for those who are starting the process and may be interested:

3/13/14: Mailed request for copy of military discharge records
    3/28/14: Received certified copy of discharge record
    3/20/14: Mailed informal claim
    4/3/14: Received VA acknowledgement letter
    4/7/14: Received VA letter with more instructions on filing a claim and provided forms (21-256 etc)
    4/16/14: Submitted application and supporting documentation in a binder as others on the forum have suggested.
    5/19/14: VA returned the certified copy military discharge papers
    5/27/14: Received VA "still processing" letter
    6/2/14: Received VA letter awarding full A&A pension in amount of $1,758. 1st check will be deposited 7/1/14

VA also sent forms and advised we should submit documentation to determine if he will be eligible to receive payments retroactive to March 2013. The VA will declare my father-in-law incompetent based on his dementia diagnosis, so we will go through the fiduciary process. I believe I read somewhere on this forum that it's best to submit a 21-4138 (Statement in Support of Claim) stating ( the appointment of a fiduciary is not being contested and nominating his son to be fiduciary. Is that correct?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Re: Fingers Crossed!

Thank you for supporting our work here, and wishing you the best with the application!

3. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Newbie

Re: Fingers Crossed!

Got the award letter today! Only took six weeks. Updated my original post with the timeline and details. Thank you to everyone who contributed to my knowledge base!

4. dianalynn

dianalynn Newbie

Same here received my mom's award letter today, her payments also start July 1, 2014.
    Decision based on
    Orginal File Date was Feb 8th, 2014
    Va Form 21-4138
    Attendant Affidavit Form
    All Evidence of record

Also it was 2 weeks ago today I sent in the spin down of my mom's medical expense, sent certified like website here instructed, very good idea I was afraid it take a few more months to here anything, Shocked to say the least when I opened the mail box today.

They did find my mom incompetent so when I sent a form 21-4138 stating we accept the decision on the incompetency and appoint her grandson son the fiduciary, they sent us back with todays packed a form for her to sign that was purple and to different address. so make sure you see that when you get your packet.

our family has already been thought the fiduciary process, with my dad last year, it was pretty painless, they found him incompetent in June 2011, Fiduciary lady showed up in July, son got his check starting in September.

5. vetadmin

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Yes, there is the verbiage on the website in the FAQ section waiving the 60-day waiting period having no issue with their finding of "incompetency.

Again, great news for you, and thanks for sharing your process and good news!

6. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Newbie

Just wanted to update my experience in the event it will be helpful to someone else. We did not reply to the VA letter advising my father-in-law had the right to appeal the dementia determination as he is getting a little testy when asked to sign forms. We met with the VA fiduciary agent yesterday, so the delay was minimal. Another thing we have learned along the way, is the VA stopped charging co-pays for prescriptions once he was approved for A&A.

7. vetadmin

Great news for you!

8. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Newbie

Oops! I have to update my update. I forgot to mention I filled out the paperwork for the 12 months prior to his A&A approval, to determine if he would be eligible for back pay. It appeared he would be eligible for about $3,000. Since the VA gives you 12 months to submit the paperwork, I had been waiting for a good time to get my father-in-law to sign the form. Not to worry, because the fiduciary agent told us they had already figured he would get $3,000 in back pay. That was a very nice surprise!

9. vetadmin

The news just keeps getting better and better!