FIDUCIARY- still waiting on visit

Discussion in 'Fiduciary questions' started by littleaccent, Aug 12, 2016.

1. littleaccent

littleaccent Newbie

We got my MIL beginning money beginning with a march payment. the letter said she is owed retro money from Aug forward. We waived the waiting period and then got a letter stating the VA would visit her at the Asst living before signing off on releasing the funds.
    How long does it take to get a visit? We figured a few months at the most, but since Feb(?) seems a bit long.
    How do we call and check on the status of the retro funds?

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Unfortunately the fiduciary process can take up to a year to occur. You can always call the VA directly to check on the status of this situation. Be prepared to call a few times if needed to get the right information you're looking for.

Keith likes this.
  3. suseq

suseq Newbie

Just had my interview, piece of cake. When they call to make date & time for interview they will tell you everything to have ready. I started the A&A application in Oct 2015. Before my interview I got an apology letter from the Indianapolis Hub stating THEY made a mistake causing many delays. They are working hard to rectify mistake. It took about 1 month from , receiving letter, interviewing Dad, setting up interview with me. I am now waiting for my certification so that I can set up my savings/checking account and they can put in back funds

Keith and Kaylin like this.
  4. suseq

suseq Newbie

ONE FIELD REPRESENTATIVE INTERVIEWS MIL AT ALF, COMPLETES REPORT, ADDS IT TO FILE, ANOTHER FIELD REP WILL CONTACT YOU FOR YOUR INTERVIEW. MIL INTERVIEW MUST BE DONE FIRST. HAD A HARD TIME INTERVIEWING MY DAD WHO HAS DEMENTIA AND CAN BE VERY AGGRESSIVE TOWARDS MEN HE DOES NOT KNOW. HE JUST NEEDED TO TELL THEM IT'S OK FOR ME TO MANAGE MONEY.

Kaylin likes this.
  5. Kaylin

Thank you for your input, suseq!

6. Keith

Keith Newbie

Ive been waiting on this retro-pay for 9 months. My wife has dementia. Will they ask her a lot of questions? Will they make an appointment before she deteriorates any further?

7. Keith

Keith Newbie

8. Keith

Keith Newbie

My wife loved to shop. Unfortunately she is totally unable yo manage money. She has credit cards I didn't know about. She tends to hoard cleaning supplies. I didn't know how bad it was getting. Now I'm finding new debts almost daily. Will this interfere with me being her fiduciary?

9. Kaylin

If she has ever filed for bankruptcy then she would not qualify to be fiduciary.

10. Keith

Keith Newbie

SHE's got dementia. I'M asking to be her fiduciary. Will this make ME ineligible?

11. Keith

Keith Newbie

I want to be part of her medical care also. The doctors seem unwilling to let me know what's going on. By the time I ask her what the doctor said, she's already forgotten. I signed the papers at ROI. And we signed a form saying that I could get information. I'd really like some info and support.

12. Kaylin

Ah, my apologies, Keith. I misread your first question. As long as your financial standing has been good in the past and you have never filed bankruptcy then you should be alright for being accepted as fiduciary. As for your second question, I assume you sent in the Approved Third Party Form 21-0845 in order to become the fiduciary? If so then you should be able to be the primary communicator for all of her care and medical issues when it comes to the Aid and Attendance benefit.

13. Keith

Keith Newbie

Thank you so much. It's great to finally be heard and get answers. thank you.

Kaylin likes this.
  14. littleaccent

littleaccent Newbie

We just received a letter saying they were backed up and her application process is delayed.
    So we are still waiting- but officially now.

Kaylin likes this.
  15. littleaccent

littleaccent Newbie

Does anyone know what all they will need us to provide when our interview finally happens? I want to be sure I have everything in order before I need it.

Kaylin likes this.
  16. Kaylin

littleaccent, I am hoping someone else can give their input on this process as I have not actually gone through it myself. But from what I have heard on the forums, the fiduciary interview is usually very straightforward and easy. It's the waiting that's the hardest part!

17. littleaccent

littleaccent Newbie

We had our interview and are now waiting on the paperwork to set up the banking information as they require. It was super easy and the lady that did the interview was very nice.
    I haven't see it mentioned here, so I will share, they do a background check on fiduciary applicants. Not a problem for us, but something we hadn't expected. The interviewer also called personal references that we supplied. She was very thorough. But it was a painless process.
    We're so close to the end finally!!! It's been a year since we started this process. We're not a military family so this is our first taste of the VA bureaucracy. I don't know how anyone that's in a desperate need for VA help can make it till they get thru their processes. We were stressed and worried and stretched extremely thin for months while we waited for it to get started but I wouldn't say we were desperate- as some I know have been. God bless anyone waiting on the VA!!

AghelpingMom and Kaylin like this.
  18. Kaylin

Thank you so much for coming back to share your experience!

19. littleaccent

littleaccent Newbie

So we got the paperwork for the fiduciary bank account last week, set it up to be titled as requested and before we could mail the REQUIRED form back- the back payment check came! Ummm, weren't they supposed to be waiting on the account to be set up correctly BEFORE sending the check? We deposited it in the new account, but gesh, seems a bit ahead to already send it before they knew the bank account was correct.
    On a side note: we had to leave the VA form for the branch manager to fill out and stamp as she wasn't in at the time and they LOST it for a few days. Be sure to make a copy before you head to the bank!!

20. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

Let me add a couple of things. When the interviewer calls to set up the interview, be sure to ask him/her what documents you need to provide. We had to provide a copy of MIL's latest bank account/investment account statement. Why, I do not know. We also received the check before we set up the account. We then had to call Indianapolis to find out where the appointment letter was -- again, it had fallen through the cracks. Also, when you get the VA paperwork to set up the account (sorry, I don't remember the form number), be sure to make a copy (like littleaccent suggested), and set up an appointment with the bank manager. We explained to the bank manager ahead of time, so he could call his main office to double-check what he needed to be done on his end. We also took the fiduciary handbook with the exact statement of how to title the account.