Fiduciary - start first - before app?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IrishMarie, Mar 13, 2009.

1. IrishMarie

IrishMarie Newbie

I am still in limbo with my mom. Getting closer to moving her to an assisted living facility. I had ruled that out for past year and doing what I can to check on her and take care of her as she stays in her own apartment - with help from home health nurse. Mom has been declining (age 80) and dementia increasing. Found a facility that would "cover" the cost/balance each month until the VA benefit came through, so this looks promising.

Question: I already have a doctors statement noting dementia. I know a POA is not accepted. Should I go ahead and apply to become fiduciary for mom BEFORE she moves into assisted living and we apploy for A&A (which could be in next several months)? Has anyone done it this way and had success ?

Thank you.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You do not want to do this until you receive a determination back on the applicaiton as it will only delay the application being processed. Once you get the determination, you can then address being appointed as her fiduciary.

3. cmicbrown

cmicbrown Newbie

Has anyone heard of a HEMS fund - taking a portion of parents money and setting aside, so to speak, in order to bring their cash down the a level that is acceptable to VA in order to gain benefits? I wonder if I am making any sense.. thanks.

4. IrishMarie

IrishMarie Newbie

Thank you. Good to know this now!

5. mcrews

mcrews Newbie

it would help if you told us what HEMS stands for? but I have not seen those initials before

Mark John Crews