Fiduciary Process - Split State - General FYI

Discussion in 'Fiduciary questions' started by lucillesur, Feb 24, 2015.

1. lucillesur

lucillesur Newbie

Hi Folks,

I just thought I'd post how the process went for me just in case anyone else has questions.

My mom was awarded the monthly A&A benefit in August. Yaay! But since she needs help with handling her affairs, the VA deemed that she needed a Fiduciary to be appointed. So she asked that I do it.

Mom lives in AZ and I live in CA, so we had the wonderful opportunity to have a "split state" process start. What happened was that a field officer (FO) went to her assisted living and interviewed her. The process was very quick and mom was just asked basic questions like what color her hair was, what the date was, etc. That was in November.

My interview was next. That didn't happen until early February in LA. I had a FO come to my home (I took off work) and interviewed me for about 2 hours. I had my mom's last bank statement printed, along with all of her bills, and two letters of reference for me. A credit check and background check was run on me. The FA was very very nice and the interview was actually pleasant. I was just notified the day before that she was coming, so I had to get all of the paperwork in order within 24 hours...which was a bit stressful...but I got it done since the FO had tight schedule.

It is Feb 24th and I just received the letter officially appointing me as the Fiduciary! However, when the retro funds are actually dispersed is a mystery to me. The VA rep that I just called in Salt Lake said she had no idea how long that would take...

But...I wanted to report to everyone how a "split state" fiduciary appointment worked. Just in case anyone else was wondering :)
  2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing here for those who may be in the same situation.

Regarding the accrued amounts, you should see that deposited within 60 days. If you do not, then you need to make a call and find out what is going on.

Glad you made it all the way through!
  3. lucillesur

lucillesur Newbie

Thanks, Debbie. Couldn't have done it without this amazing website!
  4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Glad we could be here for you!! :)