Employment info for long time retirees?

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by Jandy, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Applying for A&A for my veteran father.

In Form 21-527EZ, Section III, it asks for veteran's work history ("Must complete")......I can fill in all the blanks (where Dad worked, dates, etc) EXCEPT FOR the blank "Total Annual Earnings." I have absolutely no idea what Dad's salary was. Dad has been retired for 16 years. He has dementia, so I doubt he can tell me. His wife is dead. And I can't find any of his tax returns that go back that far to check it.

I don't even know why the VA would need this info in this situation, but I hate to leave it blank because of the "Must Complete" warning on the form. Is it better to put n/a (which isn't really true--I just don't know the amount!) OR make a wild guess (which could be way, way off the mark)?

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Jandy,

If your father is aged 65 or older, and since he is applying for the A&A pension, you do not need to worry about filling in all of his work history. You can put "n/a" in the blanks you are not sure of the accurate answer of when referencing his work history.

This article here: http://www.alfa.org/images/alfa/Toolkits/VAToolkit.pdf
    also referecences the work history section and recommends putting "65 or older or receiving Social Security Disability"

3. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Thanks once again, Kaylin. That brochure is really helpful--I appreciate it!