Does the doctor have the final word?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leo libby, Sep 19, 2016.

1. leo libby

leo libby Newbie

I had a bit of a disagreement with Veterans Affairs. They, apparently, decided i 'm just housebound. Doesn't the doctor decide?

Here is my letter to Veterans Affairs
    '
    Veterans Affairs:

I’m interested in getting the Aid & Attendance benefit as it is advertised: an increase in monetary benefits ($1788) to assist in aid, but to be spent as I please. I do need assistance with buying food, cooking, picking things up, carrying things, putting on my sandals, cutting my toenails, and walking. I am eligible for Aid & Attendance. Progression of my disability is not necessarily linear. The neurologist can confirm this. On average, a claim takes 8-10 months to be processed, but it can take years. No one can predict how much my ataxia will progress while the claim is processing. Also, the VA’s small care-giver programs are short-term plans intended for elderly people. My apartment can’t even accommodate a wheel chair. Small care-giver programs cannot address that. My plan to buy a house is a good long-term plan to manage my disability.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Hello leo, it's not up to the doctor completely. If you are housebound and not paying enough for care, then the VA may withhold some of your total benefit money. You may not be awarded the maximum amount.

It really depends on how much you are paying for care each month vs. how much income you have coming in each month.

3. leo libby

leo libby Newbie

Is it save to take out a va home loan (Reporting the Aid + Attendance as my income). Right now my father is my aid. I don't pay him.... With the house, the idea is to offer a room to an aid.

4. Kaylin

Leo, I'm confused as to what exactly the situation is. Are you currently getting A&A? Or are you applying for it?

5. leo libby

leo libby Newbie

applying for it. already have pension.

I'm asking is it okay to basically use my ad + attendance to pay for a home? (via a VA home loan). The buying a place to live is part of managing my disability.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. Kaylin

That makes more sense. Thank you for clarifying. Once an applicant is awarded the A&A benefit, they can technically spend the money on whatever they need. Especially for you since buying a place that is better suited for you is part of managing your disability.

7. leo libby

leo libby Newbie