Does still driving affect eleigibility?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gypsylyn, Jul 14, 2012.

1. gypsylyn

gypsylyn Newbie

My 86 year old mom moved into Assisted living 2 months ago due to COPD and its complications, some falls, a blood clot and other miscellaneous conditions. However, for now, she is still driving occasionally. We are preparing her Aid/Attendance application now....will the fact she till gets out and drives occasionally, (when she is in a good period for awhile) disqualify her? We are just starting this process and would appreciate any help. ....I am working on the Intent to File Form at this point....thanks!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

CANNOT still be driving. That is a big NO! If she is driving, it is showing that she is independent, and the fact that she is in an Independent facility and not assisted living is going to be an issue.

3. gypsylyn

gypsylyn Newbie

Thank you....she IS in assisted living now however, and has only been able to drive once or twice in past several months....not sure when this will cease....probably sometime soon....appreciate your response....

4. vetadmin

OK on the assisted - my mistake there sorry, but she can't continue to drive.

5. gypsylyn

gypsylyn Newbie

What does "not still driving" entail in terms of documentation?
    Must she turn in her drivers license? Must she sell her car ? (We might want to keep it for visitors, we all live outside her state but visist often and need to get around).
    Does the doctor need to document something? Thanks so much for your help.

6. vetadmin

She can keep the car. She is entitled to have it in the event someone uses it to drive her to appointments or company comes into town. Just better to surrender the license, or at least have the Dr. said she is no longer driving, and that needs to be the truth.

7. Bill C

Bill C Newbie

The doctor who filled out my Dad's statement indicated he occasionally still drove. It did not affect his acceptance of getting A&A.

8. vetadmin

You got lucky on that ruling.