Do not understand why not qualify

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by rlmayer, Aug 26, 2014.

1. rlmayer

rlmayer Newbie

I have been helping my mother fill out the forms for Aid and Attendance. My father was a navy veteran in World war II who died in 1982. I filled out the 21-534 form (First draft was 1/28/2013) and all other forms. The application was recently rejected because my father's death was not caused by his military service. While this is true, I am confused because I did not think that my father's death had to be service related to qualify for my mother to get Aid and Attendance. Am I incorrect? I am also confused because VA denied the claim foe" For claim for dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC), death pension and accrued benefits. Is this the same as Aid and Attendance or a different benefit?

Thank you!!!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

This is because the VA processed the application for the wrong thing. This is a common "ploy" on the VA's part.

You need to do a VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim informing the VA that the application was for Aid and Attendance and not DIC, and that you would appreciate them making the correction.

Send this form via Return Receipt,

3. rlmayer

rlmayer Newbie

Thank you. I will try what you suggest.

4. vetadmin

You're welcome, and here is what I suggest you put on the 21-4138.

Dear VA,
    Please note that I am not filing for special monthly compensation, I am filing for Basic PENSION with Aid and Attendance. I am not filing for service connected. I am thankful that your letter to me spelled out that you were working on a compensation claim – I have been trying to get BASIC PENSION with Aid and Attendance for (insert length of time) and I am hoping that this clarification is the only thing needed to decide my claim.
    Thank you for your assistance,

5. VA Legal Team

VA Legal Team Full Member

I am also confused because VA denied the claim foe" For claim for dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC), death pension and accrued benefits. Is this the same as Aid and Attendance or a different benefit?

Thank you!!!
    [/quote]

Actually, they did deny the for Aid and Attendance. That's what death pension is. There is likely some other reason for the denial. Can;'t say for certain without seeing the denial letter though.

6. vetadmin

I believe the reason as stated was due to "The application was recently rejected because my father's death was not caused by his military service".

7. VA Legal Team

VA Legal Team Full Member

For sure. But when the VA denies, they list the reason(s) for all three denials.

Even though people think they are applying for only one benefit, the VA usually looks at three (A&A, accrued, and DIC).