Do I have to re-apply each calendar year?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scshisler, Dec 20, 2011.

1. scshisler

scshisler Newbie

I'm currently receiving A&A as the surviving spouse. My husband died in Jan. of this year and the pension that we received as a couple ended. My daughter filed a new claim, applying a second time for me as the surviving spouse. The claim was approved quickly, and I began receiving my monthly pension in the spring. I've now received a generic notice from the VA stating "We have received your application for benefits. It is our sincere desire to 'decide' your case promptly. However, as we have a great number of claims, action ion yours may be delayed."

I have NO idea what this is referring to, and the only thing I can think of is that I am required to re-apply for benefits every year? And that the VA (rather than having me fill out all the application paperwork again) just bases their 'decision' on the last app. I filed.

Now I'm very worried that I'll be without my monthly pension and won't be able to afford to pay the ALF that I'm in. What should I do?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Once approved for this benefit, you will receive an anual EVR (Eligibility Verification Report) that you will have to complete and return in the alloted amount of time. The VA needs to verify that your situation and circumstances still warrant you being eligible for the award.

3. scshisler

scshisler Newbie

Thank you so much for your speedy response. For now, I guess I'll just assume that the "we're deciding your eligibility" is simply a preliminary head's up on the EVR report. I hope there's no lapse in benefit payment!

I'm sure you've heard it many times, but you are an angel - a blessing for all veteran's and their families. You have such dedication to this site and devotion to all of us who are trying to receive benefits that should not be kept so unknown (at best elusive) by the VA.

I want to say again that it was this site - you in particular - that assisted my daughter through the entire application process for my husband and myself last year. They approved the A&A within about 5 weeks. Unfortunately, it happened just a few short weeks before he passed. Though I miss him terribly, the pension has made all the difference in my quality of life - so I remain grateful.

You have brought many blessings - actually, miracles - to so many of us who were in the dark. May you enjoy this holiday season with a hundred times over what you have given!

4. vbcoder

vbcoder Jr. Member

I agree...very well said...Merry Christmas Debbie.

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Thank you. With all my heart, thank you for your kind words, and wishes.

I apolgize for not responding a little sooner, but my first grandchild just made his way into the world, and I have been just a "little" pre-occupied with his arrival.

Wishing you and vbcoder the brightest Holiday, Christmas Season, and a great 2012 full of many blessings, and with much to be grateful for.

Debbie

6. KarenO

KarenO Jr. Member

I received the "We have received your application for benefits. . . " letter after I notified them that my mother had passed away!