Discharge papers

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by Kaiya, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Kaiya

Kaiya Newbie

My father, a WWII veteran, had a set of discharge papers issued on July 2, 1986. My brother made an electronic scan of the papers, but can't find the originals. Will the VA accept a printout of the scan?
    Thank you.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

3. Kaiya

Kaiya Newbie

Thank you for your quick reply, Kaylin. I ordered the discharge papers on standard form 180. I understand the wait for the discharge papers can take weeks or months, so please advise on what I should do in the meantime. The application forms are nearly complete and I am hoping to mail them to the VA by the end of November, so that the start date for benefits would be retroactive to December 1. Just waiting for the latest bank statement to come in. Should I send the application with the non-certified discharge papers anyway, and wait for the VA to ask for a certified copy? Should I say in the cover letter that I will attach to the application that the discharge papers have been ordered?
    Thank you.

4. Kaiya

Kaiya Newbie

Kaylin, I just want to report that my brother found the original discharge papers from 1945. What a relief. From reading prior posts I understand I should go to the local VA office, and ask for a copy to be made from the originals, and have it certified as an exact copy, correct?
    Thank you.

5. Kaylin

That would be a great way to get a certified copy, yes. You're welcome! Glad you found the original discharge papers.

6. Kaiya

Kaiya Newbie

Yesterday I went to the State VA office in Honolulu with my father's original discharge papers and had no trouble getting a copy made and stamped with "I do hereby certify that this is a full, true, and correct copy of the original on file in this office" signed and dated, Office of Veterans Services. I didn't have to wait in line, and the staff person asked me if my father's papers were on file, and they were not, so she added my father's papers into the system so they won't get lost. Almost ready to file!
    Thank you.

Kaylin likes this.
  7. Kaylin

That's great, Kaiya!

8. Kaiya

Kaiya Newbie

On November 23 I mailed the application packet (20 pages of forms and supporting documentation) Priority Mail, Certified and Return Receipt Requested, and it was delivered to the Claims Intake Center, St Paul Pension Center in Janesville, WI on November 28. I tracked the envelope on the usps.com website.
    To help others I will keep you posted on the progress of my father's application.
    Thank you so much for all your help. I could not have come this far without your assistance and the countless others who wrote into the forum.

Kaylin likes this.
  9. Kaylin

This is a big help to know how your sending and tracking went for your application. Thank you for sharing! Please keep us updated as you can.

10. Kaiya

Kaiya Newbie

My brother received the return receipt (green postcard) from the VA around December 5, and today, December 17, received a letter dated December 7 acknowledging the application. In the letter, the VA assigned a file number and alpha code (basically our father's first initial and first five letters of his last name) to be used when contacting the VA. The letter also stated that they would contact him if they need more information. So the time line that was established is: 5 days for receipt of priority mail envelope at the VA Pension Center; 7 more days to receive the return receipt; 12 more days to receive the letter from the VA for a total of 24 days from mailing the application to receiving the VA acknowledgement letter.
    I will send more updates as they develop.
    Thanks for your help and for this forum!

Kaylin likes this.
  11. Kaylin

Thank you for sharing your experience so far, Kaiya. It is helpful!

12. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

Kaiya, did the letter give you the date that was established as the application date?

Kaylin likes this.