DIC and Aid and Attendance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by luv2faux, Apr 20, 2008.

  1. luv2faux

    luv2faux Newbie

    Hi Everyone:

    Mom (widow) is receiving DIC from husband. Has Dementia and goes to day care three days a week and lives with me. Can we apply for A&A to obtain home care for other days of the week as I work?
  2. veteranadvocate

    veteranadvocate Full Member

    There is additional benefit under the DIC program that provides a higher benefit rate for ‘aid & attendance’. You do not need to complete a whole new application. You do not want to switch from the DIC benefit to non-service connected widow’s benefits. It would not be to your Mom’s best interest.

    You will need to submit the standard physician letter to show the need for care and complete the VA form 21-4138 (Statement in Support of Claim). You just have to include a statement similar to the following:

    The above-named widow is currently receiving DIC benefits. Please consider the enclosed medical report in support of her request for ‘aid & attendance’.

    All of the hard work is done on your Mother’s claim. Please let us know if you have any questions.

    The Veteran Advocate
  3. luv2faux

    luv2faux Newbie

    Thank you! So the income/asset guidelines aren't considered for the additional benefit under A&A?
  4. veteranadvocate

    veteranadvocate Full Member

    If widows are receiving DIC benefits (Service-connected death) income and medical expenses are not a factor. These benefits are a flat rate.

    The Veteran Advocate
  5. luv2faux

    luv2faux Newbie

    Thanks again...I'll post and let you and the board know the outcome so we can "pay it forward".

    Success: 6/23/08 Received a letter from VA and mom will receive aid and attendance starting 6/1/08!
  6. luv2faux

    luv2faux Newbie

    I'm in Riverside County CA and can't get a return phone call from the local veterans service office as to whether I should send them my documents. Since I can't reach them is it wiser to send to another VA location and if so, what location should I mail the completed forms and doctor's statement to?

Share This Page