Day 326. . . still in Development--UPDATE Day 375 and STILL in Development

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by Fillise, May 15, 2012.

1. Fillise

Fillise Newbie

I don't know what frustrates me more, not getting through on the Pension hotline or actually getting through and talking to someone.

Got through today. The application is still in the Development stage. This is day 326 (application was filed June 23, 2011). They have a Congressional Inquiry pending since April 26. It was assigned to a VSR(?) on April 26, but since then no action has been taken. There are not even any review notes in the file.

I am so frustrated dealing with the VA. I know that's not new to anyone here, but I just don't know what to do next.

July 3--called today to see if new information recieved. Sent two weeks ago, but not yet in the system. Sigh.

Susan

2. takkaebby2003

takkaebby2003 Newbie

Re: Day 326. . . still in Development

Hi Susan! I know exactly how you feel! I am sorry for yours and my frustration. We are all just trying to take care of our loved ones....My dad fell Monday and scared me to death! I brought him to Jacksonville to stay with me until his home health aid comes back from visiting with her elderly family up North. Im going to London next month for a month and hopefully his claim will be processed by then. Stay positive and keep working. I am my dads best advocate. I know that it will work out right on time, even though it doesnt fell like it in this moment.....

Take care,
    Ebony

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Susan,

You need to contact whoever made the congressional inquiry for you again, and push on them (nicely) to get an answer. This length of time is UNACCEPTABLE!

Keep us posted.

4. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

That is sooo long. I am sorry you are going thru this. It sure is strange how one claim goes so much faster than another even when it seems they have all the info they need to process. We are only waiting about 7 weeks now for my husband's claim. We did not even receive one of those standard letters yet. Hope you get results soon.

5. Fillise

Fillise Newbie

We got a response from the Congressional Inquiry. The case is now being reviewed and the VA called my father and says he needs to travel more than 100 miles to be examined by a VA doctor. They also requested form 21-2680 Examination for Housebound Status. We included that form, completed and signed by my father's primary care physician with the original application. I'm going to send a copy of that form back with the request. There is a VA clinic in my father's town so I have no idea why he would have to travel 100 miles to be examined by a VA doctor. They also want a nursing home statement, but he is not in a nursing home. He is in an assisted care facility. Is that different from the VA's perspective. The application we sent also clearly states assisted living facility.

They are certainly not bolstering my confidence.

6. vetadmin

You can get a letter from the doctor saying it is a hardship to go 100 miles to get the exam and request a closer location.

For unknown reasons, the VA can request the applicant be seen by a VA dr, and ignore the primary physcian's statement. If you don't comply, they will not complete processing the application.

On the nursing home statement, Assisted Living is Intermediate – but if the AL wants to write Assisted Living next to Intermediate and check that and write assisted living however many times they need to feel comfortable, they can.

I think I would still consider pushing back on your Congressperson, as this is ridiculous what the VA is doing to drag this out and asking to incur and additional burden.

7. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

I have seen this request to travel to a va hospital for exam in some older posts.
    That is really overwhelming if your loved one is very ill and can hardly get around.
    Obviously if a vet or spouse is applying for A and A they are not in good shape.
    I know for myself it would next to impossible to get my husband there.
    We barely make it to the doctor's office for his check-up.

8. Fillise

Fillise Newbie

I know. It's hard enough to get him to his local doctor. I'm going to send back the original completed form and then if necessary, I will get his doctor to sign a hardship form.

I didn't call today because I've learned not to call on the day after a holiday, but I will try tomorrow. It looks like the Congressional Inquiry is what finally got the claim into review, but it sounds like someone looked it over very quickly just so they would have something to send back to the Congressman and to "justify" the delay.

On the nursing home thing, we are getting a statement from his facility of what all they provide for him and the expense involved.

Sheesh.

9. JoanieSelf

JoanieSelf Newbie

My father's application has been in Development since August 29th 2011. I call every other week for a status update. They have all the information they need. I have contacted my Senator and my brother in South Carolina has contacted his Senator. I am not sure what else to do.

I completely agree with you on the level of frustration!!!! The explanations are as varied as the personalities. UGH!!!

10. vetadmin

You need to go back after the SC Senator or Congressperson. No excuse for 10 months and no decision. They need to push for an answer.

if the VA needed more information, they would have let you know. Something does not add up here.

11. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

Also remember that you have two senators and a congressperson who represent you. If the one senator's office is uncooperative, then I would contact one of the others - either the other senator or the congressperson. They always love a chance to one up the other, so the next person you contact will probably jump all over themselves trying to do a better job of handling the case than the first person you contacted.

We got results with the first person we contacted, but I was prepared to sign another form changing the legislative representation to one of the others, if we didn't get results.

12. JoanieSelf

JoanieSelf Newbie

Thank you! I have just filled out the Privacy Release Form for another Senator. I've made sure I mentioned the fact that my US Rep. did nothing for me. It is extremely frustrating to explain to my 85 year old father that nothing has been done yet. Those Claim Inquiries are for the birds!!! I have yet to receive a phone call from the ones filed on our behalf.