Currently receiving A&A benefits for Mom; must we reapply now that my dad has passed?

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by conzie605, Nov 17, 2016.

1. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

My dad applied, and was approved, for A&A payments because my mom needed to be placed in an assisted living facility. He has been receiving the payments since approximately 2012. My dad recently passed on November 11, 2016. Do we now need to reapply for my mom as a surviving spouse or will they simply transfer the current payment my dad was receiving to her? She is in the assisted living facility, and we will not be able to afford her care there without it or while we wait for a new surviving spouse claim to be approved. It seems crazy have to start all over.

Kaylin likes this.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Unfortunately you need to reapply as a surviving spouse for your mother. It's such a pain and it's one of the things we wish the VA would change about the A&A benefit application process. Use the 21-534EZ form for the surviving spouse and include any additional forms you need we have listed on our How to Apply page on VeteranAid.org. If she is facing financial hardship and the ALF is completely depleting her remaining assets you should include the Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 with an indication on it that you are asking for expedited processing because of her financial hardship.

3. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

Follow-up question: my mom has no assets and only has SS of $1530 per month now that my dad passed. Her ALF costs are $2300 per month, plus there are prescription expenses. Any idea how much she might qualify for in aid and attendance pension?

Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

By what you are indicating here without any additional information on her assets or eligibility - I'd guess she'd qualify for the full benefit of a surviving spouse. Which is $1406 per month.