Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kjhinshaw, Jun 26, 2011.

1. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

I've just about got all of my paperwork completed for my mom, but have a couple of questions.

1. My mom is in an Assisted Living facility. I see there's a Nursing Home Status Form, but do I need anything like that from the Assisted Living?

2. I'm assuming when my dad (VA Vet) passed away he must have gotten the burial benefit from the VA, but I don't have any information on that. Do I need it?

3. If we get denied the first time around because of her net worth being too much, can she re-apply when it goes down?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Get a Statement of Occupancy from the ALF. On the application, cross through Nursing Home, and put ALF

No, you do not need anything on burial benefits.

Yes, you can reapply once her assets come down if denied for excessive net worth. If it is within the first year, you would just do a 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim showing the change in her finances.

Be sure to send to the proper Pension Center for the state she resides in, and send Return Receipt. Keep a complete copy of the application for your records.

Good luck!

3. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

O.K. Thanks so much!

4. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

Also, will I need to send in the form 21-0845 Authorization to Disclose Personal Information? And, my mom does not receive any mail at her Assisted Living Apt. I have everything sent to me. Do I need to make a note on the application not to send anything there, but to me?

5. vetadmin

Yes, you do need to do the 21-0845 so the VA can discuss the application with you. You have to list her address, but can note that all correspondence is to come to your address.

6. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

O.K. thanks again!

7. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

Do I need to claim the cash value in her small life insurance policy as part of her assets?

8. vetadmin

Please look at the Tips and Resouces tab on this forum for the "Countable" income.

9. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

I do see that you don't claim the life insurance policy, but I'm wondering about "cash value".

Also am I right that I will just send "copies" of the Discharge papers, death certificate, birth certificate, ect.?

Thanks again.

10. vetadmin

Yes, send copies, but on the DD-214, you need to have a notarized statement to the affect that "this is a true and accurate copy". Never send the originals.

11. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

Thanks....glad I asked.

12. Max

Max Hero Member

There are some life insurances that count and some that don't. Report it and include a statement from the insurance company. VA will review it and determine whether or not to count it. Keep in mind that VA has several actual people review each claim. They won't just look at the numbers and ignore the regulations.

13. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

Thank you. It's just a small policy. The cash value is almost as much as the death benefit. :) She's had it for years and years, and still making monthly payments on it.