Considering moving mom to our home from ALF

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by conzie605, Nov 14, 2017.

1. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

My mom is currently receiving A&A assistance -- full amount. We are considering moving her to our home as she lives 8 hours (driving) away from us and has been diagnosed with cancer. She is also having some issues with her current ALF, and we don't feel she'll get the TLC she will need going through cancer treatment. I understand that family can be paid to be a caregiver, but I'm not sure if our finances will be taken into consideration when reviewing whether or not she still qualifies for A&A assistance. That doesn't seem right, but a friend mentioned that might be the case. My husband works, and I work from home and will be able to take care of her. We will also bring in someone a few times a week to help with bathing, meals for special diet, etc. I would appreciate any advice about being a family caregiver, how we go about letting the VA know of the change, and if this will hurt her chances to continue receiving A&A assistance. Also, do we need to have her in our home for a couple of months to have proof of her expenses here before alerting the VA? I want to make sure to do everything properly for the VA. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

2. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

Does anyone have advice about what I need to do to tell the VA of the address change and that I will be her caregiver?

3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, conzie.

You will have to definitely let the VA know the change in circumstance - including the address change, the care type change, and any updates to expenses/income. You can use this medical expense report (https://www.veteranaid.org/docs/21p-8416.pdf) to update the VA on the expenses/income or you can simply show them in a typed letter what all of the changes are.

You don't have to have her in your home for a couple months before having proof of expenses, perhaps you can have her pay you and your husband up front what the care cost would be for the month and show that in her latest bank statement. That is what I would do.

4. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

Besides the Caregiver Agreement, statement page, and Medical Expense form, do we need to include a Care Provider Certification of Services Form (FV13)? Someone (not on this Forum) told me we should add it, but it seems redundant.

Also, I’m going to send the packet tomorrow, but I’m not sure we’re to send it. We are in California. Is there a fax number or should we do certified mail?

Thank you so much for your help!

5. Kaylin

That form is not required so it is entirely up to you if you want to include it. The other two forms should suffice.

The address you will need since you live in CA is:
    Department of Veterans Affairs
    Claims Intake Center
    Attention: St. Paul Pension Center
    PO Box 5365
    Janesville, WI 53547-5365

Make sure you mail it return receipt so that you know the VA has received it and have that date for your records. And keep a complete copy for yourself! Best of luck!

6. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

Thank you for the quick reply. One last question, nothing has changed in terms of my mom’s income or expenses. Do you think there will be any problem in continuing the aid and attendance support?

7. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

I think what the VA rep may have been saying is that they don’t “pay” family to be caregivers (other than the post-911 initiative), but your mom can pay you and your sister to be her caregiver with the Aid and Attendance compensation she receives. Those caregiving expenses can be counted toward her overall expenses taken into consideration to continue aid and attendance benefits.

Kaylin likes this.
  8. Spicetea

Spicetea Newbie

9. Kaylin

It's hard to say with 100% certainty but if her income and expenses haven't changed other than changing the type of care she receives (care at home rather than an ALF or vice versa) then there should be no change in the monthly amount she receives for A&A. Also, thank you for helping out @Spicetea !

10. Spicetea

Spicetea Newbie

11. Kaylin

That's awesome @Spicetea ! I can't believe I missed this message before. No, a family member can be paid as the caregiver. Plenty of people on the forums have done the exact same thing and had no issues. Keep me posted if they end up having any issues with that, but that should not be the case. So happy for you!