Congressman helping - how long for answer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DennyJD, May 7, 2012.

1. DennyJD

DennyJD Newbie

My current wait for an A&A response was in the beginning of the 7th month. I contacted the local congressman's office for help. I was amazed that within 48 hours, the VA responded and asked for one more piece of documentation that I quickly returned.

It is now over three weeks since they received it (at least to the mail room). I have heard nothing since the original request for some receipts and list of services rendered.

Is there some time frame the VA should respond or is required to respond once a politician becomes involved?

Thanks....

Denny

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Did you mail the additional documents via Return Receipt?

3. DennyJD

DennyJD Newbie

It was sent priority mail. I was able to see that it made the VA mail room on 4/17. So they have it now for 3 full weeks. I asked the congressman's office yesterday if there was any status. She verified that it made it there the 17th and is asking for an newer update. I haven't heard back yet.

It just seems to me that I read or heard that when a politician gets involved, the VA has a smaller window of time to respond. Maybe the VA is just deaf to everyone.

Denny...

4. vetadmin

That is correct. Once a congressional inquiry has been made the VA is supposed to respond within 7-10 days. I would give it another week, and nothing back, have the office contact them again for the updated status.

Keep us posted.

5. DennyJD

DennyJD Newbie

I am now starting the fifth week that the VA has the additional information they requested. I would guess that it took a 4 to 5 working days to make it through the mail room, so really 4 weeks. I asked the congressman's aide for a status early last week. She said that they ask the VA for status about once a week. If I haven't heard by this Wednesday, I am going to call her and get better detail on the process they use to shorten the time needed for a response. The VA has had all the info they needed (excepting the latest receipt) since Sept of 2011. This is just difficult for me to understand.

Thanks....

Denny

6. vetadmin

Yes, you need to do that, and keep us updated here as to how things go.

7. DennyJD

DennyJD Newbie

Spoke to the Congressman's aide a few moments ago. She had just checked with her counterpart in D.C. and the word is that there has been a lot of activity on George's application. They expect an answer "soon". And of course no indication of which direction.

The aide pended us for two weeks, but expects to hear before then.

Enjoy the Holiday and remember a special vet this weekend.

Denny

8. vetadmin

Hopefully soon!

9. DennyJD

DennyJD Newbie

Re: Congressman helping - how long for answer? (Denied)

About a week and a half ago the congressman's office called and told us the application was denied and we received the formal letter late last week. The response was not totally unexpected. My father-in-law is in an adult home, IL, not ALF. We heard that some have been successful with IL with the additional expense of a home health aid for ADLs. From a conceptual perspective, it looks like an ALF. There is safety and security, meals and house cleaning and ADLs. Problem is the person doing the ADLs is my employee not that of the home. So not totally unexpected. We needed to try something as he has no money and we are under a huge financial burden. This home is now saying that we need to move him and it looks like we may need a nursing home. There is ALP (assisted living program) in NYS, nursing home beds converted to assisted living supported by Medicaid, but the beds are very hard to find. Usually need to go private pay until a bed opens up.

As I am working through a solution for this, I do have one question. The original application was denied in Feb 2011 because on the financial application we put that his daughter was paying for the home aid. They denied it because he didn't qualify financially since she was paying.

This time, we stated he was paying. All payments came from his account. We put the money in to cover the expense. The VA didn't question that, maybe they didn't get that far in the denial process. What is the best way to handle this? I am finding that if we need to go with Medicaid, our putting money in his account can cause problems or at least complicate financial analysis to the Medicaid people.

Should we have a note signed from him saying we are providing him financial assistance? at no cost to him? repayment needed?

This part is very confusing to me.

Thanks....

Denny

10. vetadmin

Denny,

I have sent you a personal emai. Please check your messages.

11. DennyJD

DennyJD Newbie

Got it, thanks...