Confused:SF-180-Archival versus non-archival

Discussion in 'Tips and Resources' started by Cathy, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Cathy

Cathy Newbie

I'm fairly confused over the SF-180 instructions as I prepare to request a DD-214 (separation papers) so as to apply for A&A for a surviving widow(my Mom).
    Dad separated from the Army in 1946(and as we know that also lands his records in that St. Louis record fire time frame as well).
    According to the new(5/2012) SF 180 instructions, 1946(older than 62 years) makes it 'archival'. Does that mean I should procede any differently or just fill out the form and send as I would have prior to the 5/2012 revision. I see references to archival copy fee schedules,etc. and wish I had sent this darn thing before they decided to revise the form ! I'm really confused.
    What should I do now ?
    Thanks in advance !

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

No, you don't proceed any differently. Just need to send it off to get the copy.

3. Cathy

Cathy Newbie

Thank you for the very fast reply-it really helped. I was just about to leave on a business trip so did not send anything out. Yesterday I actually found a photocopy(didn't look like Xerox paper to me-so may have been made some time ago) of my Dad's WD AGO Form 53-55. I was thrilled until I started reading some discussion on the forum recommending sending a 'certified' copy or a notorized copy that indicates it is a true and accurate copy of the original. Well, without the original, I'm not sure how that would work unless..I make a copy of the copy and hope the notary will 'accept' that the photocopy is the/an 'original'. I'm just wondering how picky the VA is going to be when it is in fact being presented with factual information ..... Thoughts ?

4. vetadmin

Just get a notarized copy of the AGO, and send that. If the VA has a problem, they will let you know.

5. Cathy

Cathy Newbie

Thank you very much ! I tried to answer my next question by searching the forum but could not locate verbiage that I thought I had previously seen. For the notary, would that be a statement along the lines of 'I attest to the fact that this is a true and accurate copy of the original document'. I sign that statement and the notary notarizes it ?

6. vetadmin

Yes, it needs to say "this is a true and accurate copy".