Claim number? VA file number?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maven, May 5, 2016.

1. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

I'm helping my MIL apply.I see on forms a space for CLAIM NUMBER and for VA FILE NUMBER.
    I do have any numbers, can I just leave spaces blank?
    The only form I have sent in so far is the Intent to File form over 2 month ago.am I supposed to hear something back on that? Do I reference that in any way on the forms I'm preparing to send now?

Thanks
    Maven

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Maven,

The VA has to award the file/claim#, so yes, you leave that blank.

Once they acknowledge receipt of the Intent to File, they will respond with a letter providing the number.

3. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

Thanks for the reply.So do I have to wait to receive acknowledgement letter with # before sending in all forms?

4. vetadmin

Maven,

Since you sent the Intent to File 2 months ago, I have some concern that you have not received acknowledgment of that. Did you mail Return Receipt and have confirmation of delivery?

5. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

No I did not, realize now I should have. Is there anyway I can follow up on that form to see if VA received it?

6. vetadmin

Maven,

You need to call them and verify.

7. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

OK thank you for that.Do I need to call the same place the form was mailed to? Also I'm doing this for my 90 yr old MIL who has dementia, will they talk to me? I was going to send in the 3rd party authorization form with other papers I'm preparing.

Thanks again,

Maven

8. vetadmin

Maven,

You truthfully should have sent the 21-0845 Approved 3rd Party in with the Intent to File, and without that, the VA may not answer your question about the form having been received.

You would call the main number which is 800 827-1000, and hopefully they will tell you if it has been received.

If not, I would highly recommend you send either the completed application with all the supporting documents, or another Intent to File along with the 21-0845, and always mail Return Receipt.