Care giver

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by csnocera, Nov 3, 2010.

1. csnocera

csnocera Newbie

I am in the process of applying for aid and attendance for my father who needed to Baker Acted by his physician in order to diagnosis him properly. He has been diagnosed with dementia and major depressive disorder. His physician has requested a psyiciatric nurse for observation and a home health aid for ongoing assistance with ADL's. The doctor has filled out the physicians form. I have hired a home health aid for 4 days only at this point due to finances. I am taking on the other days for care and medication management daily. The agency has filled out the form for the care giver to submit to the VA. My question is how do I submit a care giver report for my additional time when there is no money left to show the VA I am being paid. Do we need to show the remaining 3 days of care for a dollar amount? My concern is that may think he only is getting four days, which much more is needed.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You can't claim expenses that are not being paid. You would actually need to be paid by your dad so that he can claim the expense of the services you are providing. The exception would be if what you are paying the agency is enough to deplete the majority of his income, then it would not be a problem as his "countable" income would be close to zero at the end of the month.

3. vetadmin

4. csnocera

csnocera Newbie

Thank you, I do have one more question, Am I using the VA monthly benefit $123 as income in this calculation? I was told not to use it, I would like to be sure before I submit anything.

5. vetadmin

You have to include all monies. The VA will look to see which pension is going to pay him more and award the higher amount, but yes, they need to be aware of it.