Can I list medical expenses I paid for on behalf of veteran on A&A application?

Discussion in 'Expenses' started by lromine, May 10, 2015.

1. lromine

lromine Newbie

My WWII vet father and mother cannot afford my father's at-home care he receives due to dementia. I have been paying for the attendant to come and care for him out of my pocket.

I know that the amount paid by the veteran for unreimbursed medical expenses can be deducted from any income in calculating the pension amount.

Can I count the expenses that I paid for in this category? Would it make any difference if I placed the funds in my father's and mother's account and my mother paid the expenses from their joint account? Or would this negate any benefit because the amount I deposited would be considered "income?"

Thank you for your help.
  2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You cannot count what you are paying, and we don't recommend putting the money into their account. You need to have them pay the expenses, and you can pay for other things for them, but they need to show the financial need for the pension on their own.

You should keep a record of everything care expense you have paid and just keep that to the side in the event anything were to happen where you would have to file for unpaid accrued benefits.